Forums

Help › Forums

OK, Let's talk Swing Meter

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 3 2012 1:21 PM (33 replies)
  • phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 6:54 AM

I've done everything here that has been recommended for a smooth swing meter, and yet it still has it's little fits from time to time, costing valuable shots and many lost balls.  The typical malfunction is just before a swing, the meter skips drastically fast and that causes the ball to go off one side or the other.

Here's what I have done:

cleared Flash cache prior to every session on WGT

cleared browser cache

turned off Loop

tried Firefox, IE9, Google Chrome, and Comodo Dragon

tired the practice swings

had my computer checked for speed:

1.06mbps Download speed

.42 mbps upload speed

computer processor is AMD Athlon processor, 2.7 Ghz. 2.00 GB Ram, 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium

I have 19 balls hit in the water, well over half of these have been from meter malfunction.  I am looking for recommendations on how to get the meter smooth consistently, I'm not worried about the speed of it, just consistency in it's movement.  I have tried everything I have read on here and in most of the threads on swing meter but nothing seems to work consistently.  Any ideas? 

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 7:09 AM

Your internet speed is quiet slow, that might be a reason. With the download speed you have i would say you should at least be sure that you dont use your internet for anything else when playing WGT. Close all other open browser windows, dont have skype, msn, livemail, youtube, sidewidgets and other things open when you play.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 7:12 AM

phiber:

1.06mbps Download speed

.42 mbps upload speed

Your Internet speed is a lot of your problem phiber. 12 to 15 Mbps is ideal for online flash IMO. I have almost the same rig you have and my meter is fantastic not to mention the games mechanics are smooth like playing from a disc. That's with no other windows open and opening the game-client from a desktop icon. I also keep my Adobe website storage manager clear before game-play too.

Read this as well.

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 8:00 AM

I will mention the following, as it is something I am planning to try.  

I also have a 32 bit machine w/ 2g ram... I am looking into increasing the ram (I believe we can go up to 3.5... if possible?).  

I am not a tech guy by any stretch - but this isn't brain surgery either.  Search youtube for a video tutorial, piece of cake if you own a screwdriver and know how to unplug a chord. 

I use my laptop for wgt as well as TV through netflix (no, not @ the same time, lol), hoping this will fix some of my video streaming jerkiness.  My meter is pretty good these days after switching to Chrome Dragon and (most importantly) cleaning up all the crap running during startup.

good luck

• phiber
    2,795 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 8:19 AM

Thanks for all the imput.  I checked with my DSL provider and they say I have 6mbps dl speed, but when I checked it with 3 different 3rd party sites it clocked a lot slower than what Bellsouth said I had.

I looked inside my computer to see if I had a slot ot increase the ram and I do have, so that iwll be a next move.  My meter works pretty well most of the time but, on 3 separate occasions over the past 3 days, right aafter I moved up to the TM tier, it started this stuff.  it cost me a nice lead on OCC front 9 because it did it like 5 times in a row, even after I saved the game and logged off then back on.  Quite frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for any and all of the input. 

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 8:55 AM

phiber:

Thanks for all the imput.  I checked with my DSL provider and they say I have 6mbps dl speed, but when I checked it with 3 different 3rd party sites it clocked a lot slower than what Bellsouth said I had.

I looked inside my computer to see if I had a slot ot increase the ram and I do have, so that iwll be a next move.  My meter works pretty well most of the time but, on 3 separate occasions over the past 3 days, right aafter I moved up to the TM tier, it started this stuff.  it cost me a nice lead on OCC front 9 because it did it like 5 times in a row, even after I saved the game and logged off then back on.  Quite frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for any and all of the input. 

I use a laptop with windows 7 premium and I use google chrome. I also use a programme called Game booster 3. This closes all programmes not needed as welL as clearing your desktop before opening wgt. It has made a world of difference to my gaming. Every-thing runs so smooth. You can download it for free from the internet.

Try it you might find it helps. You can always get rid of it if you don't like it. I haven't  looked back.

ps, As soon as you come out of playing wgt you hit F12 button and your computer reverts back to normal straight away.

MEL1950

• PRIESTESS
    10,716 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 9:16 AM

Richard4168:

phiber:

1.06mbps Download speed

.42 mbps upload speed

Your Internet speed is a lot of your problem phiber. 12 to 15 Mbps is ideal for online flash IMO. I have almost the same rig you have and my meter is fantastic not to mention the games mechanics are smooth like playing from a disc. That's with no other windows open and opening the game-client from a desktop icon. I also keep my Adobe website storage manager clear before game-play too.

Read this as well.

MY speed is around 1.5,All this means is you have to let the first swing go sometimes, It has no bearing on overall meter smoothness,Ram is more important than internet speed,1.0mb is fine,When its busy you cant play quick,You have to let it settle,But Ram is the key

• Minkywinkster
    1,777 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 9:55 AM

One thing you can do to improve performance is press ctrl+alt+delete to open up your task manager, go to your processes to see what applications are running, from there you can right click on your chosen internet browser and set priority levels to your processor so you can give it higher priority for more smooth running

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 11:01 AM

phiber,

there are 3 things i do beyond what you are doing before every play session, they are:

I have a Free clearing, cleaning program.  I run it everytime before logging into WGT.  It is called Glary Utilities

As mentioned by another source I have Game Booster 3, also free.

I also have the minimum number of players on my friends list (3).  This is free also.

The only meter difficulity i experience is when  I happen to brush against my right click button when using the left click.  Hope this information will help>  my nickle.

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sun, Dec 25 2011 11:32 AM

phiber:

Shop around Phiber.

I used to have another provider that told me my speed was 12mbps and yet I only had a 3mbps download at best, this resulted in what you are experiencing.  So I did a little research and shopped around, I managed to find another IP that for same money gives me more data and now hover around 10/12mbps download.

Fact is some providers -- I've learned this in my wanderings in finding a new provider -- in order to contain costs/make more profit oversell their broadband hence resulting in less that quality service to all.

Merry Christmas

RSS