Legend's help needed to become a Legend

rated by 0 users
Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:15 PM (32 replies)
  • BaconButty
    116 Posts
    Sat, Dec 31 2011 1:49 PM

Yoda79:

BaconButty:
    Long Putts are a very big part of my game and l am happy with my putting as well as Driving

Hey there BaconButty! So after reading through most of this thread I see there is some pretty good advice. The best is practice! Usually that's the answer to most help threads! And it's not because the person replying doesn't know what they are talking about or doesn't want to take the time to help, it's because it's true! The more experience you have in this game the better you should be. So practice is the key.

Now I highlighted a portion of what you said in a previous post. Your comfortable with your putting and your driving. So then it's safe to assume that your iron and wedge work leaves something to be desired. Well there is something you can do to improve in this area. Play closest to the hole (CTTH) games. Play a lot of them! In those games you will experience many many different yardages with different winds. You can learn what works from certain distances and in turn you'll also learn what doesn't work. When I start to struggle with my irons, really my longer irons, I go and play a bunch of CTTH games. I have just under 800 CTTH games played. And this time next year I'm sure I'll have over 1000. Besides being fun to play, they can be a great tool that can help you learn different shots. If you can practice and eventually master a shot on Bethpage from 154yds away in CTTH, then you'll be able to hit that shot in a stroke play game. It will take dedication playing that many games, but if you want to get better with your irons and wedges then it's my opinion that you play many of those.

And one last thought. If you go and do this. If you go and start playing CTTH games and you come across a shot that you can't figure out. Then post it here in the forums. And somebody would be more than happy to tell you how to play it. But go out and try it yourself. I would bet after 100 CTTH games you'll see an improvement. Hope this helps you. Take care and Happy New Year. 

Master Yoda

Hi Yoda Happy New Year u2.

l make you 100% right to the point l have copyed and put your words in the CC forum l run l think they could help other to.

l understand you thinking about CTTH and the work l need to put into my irons and wedges. l would like to talk more with you on CTTH. CTTH show up as ranked games would playing CTTH change my average or add more points and move me upto tour pro faster?

Kind Regards Baconbutty

• BaconButty
    116 Posts
    Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:04 PM

BenRC:

Well said Longwedge and JaLaBar........

It has now come to this on my quest to attaining the Legend tier...a matter of 3-4 shots...the difference between my score over 9 holes and a legends.....

It may as well be 3-4 light years.......while I may be shooting 31's and 32's...the legend is firing 28's and 29's....the gap is much worse in match play....i'm toast 1/2 way into the match

The answer for any of us stuck in this position, is to find and recognize where those shots lie.....for me at the moment its putting and to a lesser degree approach shots....i look in hindsight after a match at how close i came on 3-4 putts...i'm burning the edge of the cup on 7-8 ft's while the legend is nailing them....not to mention, wasting a beautiful approach shot...

The answer is painfully clear.....I must put the time in and as frustrating and time consuming as it is ....practice practice practice

Yes i do understand the " Its just a game" mentality......but I do not take any pleasure in playing poorly, when you are a competitor as I am, and scoring pars and an occasional birdie on a consistant basis...the goal is birds.....its like being satisfied with a grass burning topped ball in RL golf,as compared to a beautifully struck 7 iron landing softly on a green...a nobrainer...

I have a very good friend here who is a legend and is an excellent player...some very simple tips from this player have been game changers for me as of late.....so that is another way of improving...playing with a patient legend who is willing to share knowledge with you...

Clearly, I will never be able to spend countless hours here...but i will get better and so will you Baconbutty...with just a bit more practice.....

Hi. thank you for you time and words. yes l now have some good people talking to me and sharing there knowledge with me, l know with knowledge and some/lots of practice it will all show in my game. when you have time would be good to have a game or 2.

Kind Regards Baconbutty 

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Sat, Dec 31 2011 2:15 PM

BaconButty:
    CTTH show up as ranked games would playing CTTH change my average or add more points and move me upto tour pro faster?

No. CTTH games are not ranked games and do not in any way count towards your average thus it would not help you to move closer to being a Tour Pro. CTTH games are games in which you just take a single shot (usually a iron shot) in an attempt to get as close to the hole as possible. The only thing that counts towards your average and getting closer to Tour Pro is ranked stroke play games. Games where you have to take the ball from the tee to the green and then putt the ball into the hole. 

CTTH games after you play a couple hundred should aid you in getting the ball closer to the hole in a stroke play game. Think of CTTH as a driving range. A place to go and practice hitting the ball with your irons. You will earn experience points to raise your level, but that has nothing to do with your average and tier.  

If you would like to, send me a friend invite and I will help you any way I can. We can play a bunch of games and I will impart any knowledge I have that could help you. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask. Take care and good luck.

Master Yoda

RSS