Forums

Help › Forums

to ding or not to ding

Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:10 AM (48 replies)
  • goeasyonme
    169 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 8:06 AM

hi guys

i have been here 9 months now and i was wondering how many people move the arrow when they shoot and how many hit either side of the ding

i myself hit either side but i wonder what the really good players do

kevin

• MentalChaos
    141 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 8:23 AM

personally, I move the arrow then I push or pull (miss the ding) in the direction of the wind on 98% of my shots, by doing this you lose slight precision, but at the same time if you ding the shot, the wind immediately starts moving the ball when it leaves the club face and you have no idea how far it will actually move in the direction of the wind. The 2% of shots that I purposely ding are putts. To each their own though.

• goeasyonme
    169 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 8:41 AM

yes i forgot about putts i always try to ding them

• dosed
    71 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 8:41 AM

Well I'm definatly not one of the good players, but I'd like to think im decent. Anyway missing the ding will take distance and control off your shot. On putts it's not a big deal some players actually use it to allow the putt to curl more. It's very usefull in some cases, such as when you have a varying speed break. Hope this helps

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:14 AM

Hitting the ding gives you better accuracy and distance.  On putting I tend to miss it on purpose to hold the line against a break and on drives there are a few places where you have to 'hook' it to miss the trees by hitting early.

I have tried to miss the ding on purpose to hold it against the wind but find that if I do the inconsistent distance is worse that just aiming better.  Of course the key is the many times that I miss the ding when I'm trying to hit it  lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:18 AM

Missing to aim with R11s and Callaways or Nike's is suicide. The deviation is all over the place. Best play for me is to try to ding every time but set up a miss in the fashion MentalChaos does. A pixel or two into the wind will not kill you and is fairly consistent with the results.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:31 AM

If you don't move the arrow at all it seems to me you are leaving yourself at the mercy of fate. You need to make a conscious decision how much to use the wind, or fight the wind, or whatever. That will almost always involve moving the arrow somewhat, someway, somewhere.

• MentalChaos
    141 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:09 AM

YankeeJim:

Missing to aim with R11s and Callaways or Nike's is suicide. The deviation is all over the place. Best play for me is to try to ding every time but set up a miss in the fashion MentalChaos does. A pixel or two into the wind will not kill you and is fairly consistent with the results.

True, I don't want people to think I'm missing by huge margins on purpose... As YJ stated, I move the arrow to aim the shot, and then only miss the ding by a margin of 2 to 4 pixels (which is not hard to do once you get the rhythm of your meter. Missing by anymore than a couple of pixels will either A) make the ball continue in the direction of the miss no matter what the wind says, or B) drop the yardage so much you'll usually end up 10 or 12 yards short.

• boozybob1
    89 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:24 AM

I close my eyes just at the ding and pray

• gordonparker
    827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:41 AM

i feel that if i miss the ding by a tiny bit the ball goes further?

gordon

RSS