Forums

Help › Forums

to ding or not to ding

Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:10 AM (48 replies)
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 10:46 AM

zagraniczniak:
    You need to make a conscious decision how much to use the wind, or fight the wind, or whatever.

Tiger spoke to this in a way a few years ago. "Pick a putting line, and trust it."

Knowing when to hit ding, or miss ding is something that comes with a feel for the shot. For me, I ding all drives and iron shots (or at least I try for ding) using the aiming cursor. For putts, I use the aiming cursor for any putt longer then nine feet. Again, I've developed a feel for missing ding on the shorter putts. However, it certainly isn't an absolute.

Also keep in mind, the amount of off-ding break has to continually be increased as WGT ramps-up the programmed randomness. I remember back in December 2009 before the update, you only needed to miss ding by an 1/8 inch to easily sink a 8 foot putt with big break on Kiawah. Its now been moved-up to 40%+ of break at least on longer putts. A rule of thumb for me on a four foot putt is, 10 feet of power and 30%+ of break. More feet of power on uphill putts.

I wonder if the off-ding putters will eventually have to use 100% of break to sink a putt? LOL!

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 11:05 AM

gordonparker:

i feel that if i miss the ding by a tiny bit the ball goes further?

gordon

I miss hit a lot of my drives usually about an inch or so from the center line. With the right wind this can really make em fly. You need to be careful with spin when you do it tho - more spin = more bend. And you need to learn where to aim and how wind will affect the shot. Takes a lot of practice.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 11:13 AM

Spacklero:
    I miss hit a lot of my drives usually about an inch or so from the center line. With the right wind this can really make em fly.

Fun way to get some serious length this way. Aim way against the wind and miss the other way on purpose. Basically, get the ball flying in the direction of the wind by over aiming and missing intentionally by a lot with the wind.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 1:47 PM

I state this again and again.

Always play for ding, intentionally missing is very risky and you should only do so if you really know what you are doing.

When you miss on purpose, especially on irons, you really start getting deviations in play. By missing it, not only you having much lower & to fly through but also spin, wind, trajectory slightly change so you will never be as precise as if you were to ding.

-wgticon

• MentalChaos
    141 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 1:53 PM

WGTicon:

Always play for ding, intentionally missing is very risky and you should only do so if you really know what you are doing.

When you miss on purpose, especially on irons, you really start getting deviations in play. By missing it, not only you having much lower & to fly through but also spin, wind, trajectory slightly change so you will never be as precise as if you were to ding.

-wgticon

I made Legend in slightly over 7 months (and around 200 ranked rounds) using the "miss the ding all the time" method.. So I must be in the "you should only do so if you really know what you are doing" group Icon speaks of lol.

• Johniedino
    786 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 2:07 PM

MentalChaos:

WGTicon:

-wgticon

I made Legend in slightly over 7 months (and around 200 ranked rounds) using the "miss the ding all the time" method.. So I must be in the "you should only do so if you really know what you are doing" group Icon speaks of lol.

Then your one of the chosen ones.

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 2:14 PM

Perhaps only the great players should answer the original question, but what the hell? I'll throw my answer in here. From the first day I played to today and going forward in the future. I ALWAYS have and will play for the ding. Seems like lately though I have been playing the intentionally-miss-ding approach, but I always try to hit it. Once you get enough rounds under your belt you will be able to judge most any wind with a pretty good degree of success. On all of my drives, second shots, approach shots, and putts I move my aiming marker and attempt to hit the ding.

However there is one shot where I intentionally miss the ding. Just one. It's a drive. Hole 2 on Bethpage Black. A CC friend of mine told me about missing the ding intentionally for this drive after I had put my drive into the rough for the 4th straight game in a row. And I got to tell ya. At first I was skeptical. I really didn't want to adjust to doing this when I knew I can hit the perfect shot and leave it in the fairway. So the first time I did this, I aimed down the center of the fairway and accidentally hit the ding! LMAO! When you want to hit it you can't, but when you want to miss it, you hit it! ~sigh~ Thankfully ever since then (about 2 months) I have missed the ding to the left and have curled my drive into the fairway. Works beautifully! So other than that shot, I always try to hit the ding and would recommend doing it this way to anybody. But we are all different and have our own ways of playing. Just seems to me that when you can hit the ding, your shots will be more consistent and your scores will be lower. Hope this helps somebody! Take care all and happy hitting!

Master Yoda

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 3:49 PM

I use both methods, whichever takes my fancy on any given shot.

On putting I tend to use the miss method....

....waits for comments, but some slopes require miss and moving the triangle. lol.

Depends how smooth your meter is and how used to playing your way is.

I don't lose too many balls, so that's a good pointer.

• JuanMendoza
    469 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 4:18 PM

Unless huge crosswind, DING IS KING!

• PRIESTESS
    10,716 Posts
    Thu, Dec 29 2011 4:40 PM

Ding is best :)

RSS