Forums

Help › Forums

New Years Eve Traditions

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:41 AM (6 replies)
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Dec 31 2011 12:46 PM

What is your must have New Years Eve Tradition? At my house it is Brat and *** at midnight, along with my homemade Bloody Mary's. I make the Bloody Mary mix on Xmas eve and we have it on New Years eve. Start with tomatoes I canned in August, fresh clam juice, fresh ground horseradish, worchestershire, and the rest is secret. The main ingredient is Elit by Stoli, expensive for a bloody mary, but new years is only once a year. Last year at my house we went through about 4 gallons. Get a hair of the dog that bit ya, first thing in the morning and it's on again. The Southern side of the family has black eyed peas and collards, good lord. They don't know what their missing. I would love to have my WGT friends here for the celebration, I would have to procure a bunch of lap tops so no one missed their cdp. Happy New Year all.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Dec 31 2011 12:48 PM

Why did they block out Sauerkraut????

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Dec 31 2011 12:59 PM

Can we do WGT surveys to get some of your Bloody Mary Mix?  Sounds delicious.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Dec 31 2011 1:04 PM

I forgot to mention the giant olives i get, I steam garlic cloves and stuff the olives with them. I have to keep the non drinkers away from the olives, they eat them like peanuts.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 5:06 AM

Wow, I don't drink, and that sounds freakin' awesome!!! I'd definitely be one of the non drinkers shoveling down those olives. All that garlic must make for some interesting midnight smooches, LOL.

I guess I don't really have any traditions per se. Growing up, I always had a ringette tournament over new years, so I'd be in bed before midnight. Now, I am far away from family, so I guess I usually just go with the flow. I suppose I have a quasi-tradition, if you can call it that. I have camped out in Pasadena three times and watched the rose bowl parade as it comes through first thing in the morning, and I've been to the game twice. I'd love to make it an every year thing. 

Before you ask, "WTF is ringette?" I made a link for you if ya click it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 5:34 AM

renniw52:

Why did they block out Sauerkraut????

LMAO. Sour puss Germans might take exception.  :-D

I'm afraid the NYE partying is a memory for me. Every year used to find me and the wife at the downtown parties where you got a room and dressed all fancy and ate and drank and danced all night before stumbling to the room. No taxis and no DWIs with breakfast (if you could keep it down) when you returned to the world of the living the next day.

Now it's watching the ball come down and getting ill watching Dick Clark try to hang on to his legacy. The wife's not in partying shape these days. Not a bad thing, mind you, my laptop is right there and there's something to be said about hanging out here with other guys whose partying days have morphed into mundane sanity. It's all good.   :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:41 AM

Sounds like mine this year YJ. Momma and I watched the youngest grand son, I had my brat and sauerkraut, my bloody mary, and I too got ill watching poor Dick. Kids picked the baby up at 1:00 and I was in the sack at 1:30. How ever, the whole crew was here on Sunday, whollie mollie, grand kids were drinking virgin bloody mary's and wiped out all my olives and mix. Oldest son, light social drinker got into the real things, and turned into Tony Montana, we laughed so hard I was sick. Didn't know he could mock such an accent. What a hoot.

RSS