Forums

Help › Forums

Matchplay against the Masters......

Sun, Jan 10 2010 7:43 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:10 AM

and I mean the top Masters, not average ones like me.

Can somebody tell me how the hell I can get a matchplay game against one of the top guys in this place?

Whenever I search for a game and a Master with a seriously low average appears, strangely the screen goes blue or there is "an unexpected error" or the game just doesn't load. This has happened to me on every occasion I have drawn a Master with an average of circa 60 or below. It is very perplexing to say the least.

I for one am extremely disappointed at this, I want to play against the very best even if it means getting my butt kicked. It is only by playing the best that you can improve yourself.

Anyone experience the same? Better still does anyone have any tall tales to tell of great victories against the elite?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:45 AM

http://wgt.com/forums/p/415/4497.aspx#4497

This is a link to the IRC chat room post. Take a look and if you're interested you'll find some really good players hang out there, including nivlac-it's his effort. 

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:59 AM

Thank you for that YankeeJim. I had a look in there last week, they were all very welcoming and some very nice people. It seemed to be more about talking than playing though to be honest.

Thanks again though.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:45 PM

tiffer67:
    It seemed to be more about talking than playing though to be honest.

There's definitely a lot of that for sure, but there's usually always tips and helpful information being exchanged too so you're almost guaranteed to learn something eventually.  Players can often ask for general help on how to play certain shots during a round or what to do in certain situations.  Someone is usually always willing to give out some advice.

Many of us who hang out there regularly spend the majority of our time playing solo in the single play tournaments and daily ready-go's etc so we use IRC as a place to keep in touch, complain about bad shots and share replays of the good ones among other things.  Too often the built-in multiplayer chat will lag your playing partners if you're talking during their swing, so this provides a secondary way to chat with everyone (not just those in your foursome) without wreaking havoc on anyone's swing meter in the process.

Lastly, if it's a match against some of the game's best that you're after, then you definitely want to be there. =)

• Kosei82
    144 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:11 PM

Hey Tiffer..i play plenty of match play...feel free to invite anytime..also if u want adive i'm very willing to help out..but its the way i may hit a shot..not necessarily the "perfect" way..hope to see ya around

~Aaron 

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:21 PM

Nivlac, thanks very much for your reply, I do appreciate it. I'm glad you have taken my post in the spirit intended, it was no criticism of the chat room you set up and frequent.

To be honest the technology side of it was a bit daunting for me, I didn't really understand a lot of what was going on.

Anyway I will give it another go and look forward to seeing you on there.....

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:23 PM

Kosei, thanks very much for the offer, very kind of you. I will definitely take you up on it. I say that but I am desperately trying to find my putting stroke, which I appear to have left behind somewhere in 2009........;^)

• Kosei82
    144 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:47 PM

Alright..sounds good..well shoot an invite over when ya see me on

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:43 PM

nivlac:

... Lastly, if it's a match against some of the game's best that you're after, then you definitely want to be there. =)

I can vouch for that statement! Wow! Although I didn't sign-in specifically to find a great game, find one I did! Playing players of a higher caliber than myself (thanks Tony and Don!), pushed me like I've never before been pushed! But in a fun way that I felt encouraged to perform well.

Thanks niv, for the opportunity to meet a bunch of great guys, learn sumpin' 'bout IRC, and share in probably the best multiplay round I've ever been involved in!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jan 7 2010 10:58 AM

LOL Pugs!  Thanks for the look at the scorecard.

Tell me you didn't bork a 3' birdie putt for the tie on the 9th!!

Just knowing those two were breathin' down your neck... 'NO PRESSURE!!!"

Peace.

• PAGES
RSS