Forums

Help › Forums

In the Weeds

Sun, Jan 22 2012 12:01 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Joemaxhinsonjr
    39 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2012 7:05 PM

Ok, I just had one of my best 9 holes go from a 30 to a 35 because I had to hole out.....10 shots on a par 3.  The ball wouldn't move more than 2 yds no matter what shot I used..no matter where I hit the ball.  Also the reason I was in the weeds on a par 3 was the ball took a hard slice against a 14 MPH side wind and landed there....I feel cheated.   I would like to know if there is a way to get more yardage from the bad situation I was put in..

• Topcat488
    172 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:12 AM

^^^^^Wgt wants you to buy better Wedges... If you don't get the point by now, just wait till the next time your having a good game...  Funny how WGT can make a person do what they (wgt) want, huh!?!  I'll see you in the Pro Shop then...  Keep hit'em straight.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 5:23 AM

Joemaxhinsonjr:
    The ball wouldn't move more than 2 yds no matter what shot I used..no matter where I hit the ball

You were probably in 70/80 weeds. That means 70 to 80% of the ball is buried. 2 things will get you out of there but you have to do them both. Aim at the closest part of the fairway from where you are, even if it means aiming 10 yards away to the extreme right or left, then PUNCH back into the fairway.

Odds are you won't improve the lie much better than to 30/40 but that is very manageable. This is where the better clubs will obviously give you more options and better results but you can still manage that trouble with what you have. Re-aim it and punch it.

Decent wedges are really cheap and very valuable. You can get one just for the credits you get when you advance tiers. A survey or 2 will also hook you up.  GL

• Joemaxhinsonjr
    39 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 11:57 AM

Thanks Jim, I love how when you have a great game on one hole..."Wow, I got a birdie"  the game lets you hit a crappy off the toe shot with the "EZ Swing" on the next hole.....

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:05 PM

Oh, dear. Joe, my man - you really cannot use the EZ Swing!!!! Those are meant to be used only by people stumbling on the site by accident, not by actual registered players. The decent free clubs will get you pretty far. 

• Joemaxhinsonjr
    39 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 3:19 PM

*LOL*.. I stumbled man.. and I still am.. but I'm changing back to metered clubs....as I can afford them.  I've already changed my putter back for better control and bought a new Driver. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 2 2012 4:28 PM

Oiy vay is Zag ever right. I didn't look myself but switch to the other free set in your bag. You get to do the clicking then.

• Sunfyre7896
    51 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2012 6:03 PM

I have a question, semi-related to this. 

I see that you say that 30/40 means that's how much of the ball is buried. I thought it either meant that that percentage would be subtracted from the total distance of the club OR that would be the total distance the club would travel if struck 100%. So for example, if a club goes 100 yards off the fairway, I thought that 30/40 would mean that the ball would either travel 60 to 70 yards or 30 to 40 yards, depending on how you applied the percentage. 

You have partially answered my question then. Now I know what the percentage actually means, but that brings me back to my initial questions I'm having about the percentage. If the rough says 30/40 and that means 30 to 40% is buried, what percentage of the total distance of the club will the ball travel? If my 7 iron goes 150 and I'm in 30/40, how far will the ball travel with no wind if I strike it full and perfect. I hope this makes sense.

I am new and if I could get the percentages down, I can figure out how much I need to club up so that I can improve. I play in real life and I understand the mechanics and physics enough, but on this game, I need to know how much to compensate for. So essentially, what percentage will the ball travel for each level, 10/20, 30/40, 50/60, etc.? Thanks for any info from anyone.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2012 3:35 AM

Rough and other tough stuff will always take something away from the distance. The bigger the number for rough or other tough stuff, the more distance is lost. However, this is a sliding scale. With light rough and a club with high elevation, the loss may not even be noticeable. With heavy rough and a club with low elevation, the ball may not move at all. So the range will vary, and you can essentially chart these out for each club in your bag and each level of rough.

Note that the specific line of clubs you are using also matters. Some are more efficient in rough than others.

Note also that the same numbers (30/40 etc.) affect the shot differently based on the material in which your ball has landed. Rough is different from sand, which is different from hard sand, which is different from mulch, etc. Even the same 'stuff' may affect your ball differently at different courses.

Remember also that all kinds of 'stuff' generally takes spin off your ball, so you get more rollout, and for this reason you may even find that a ball hit from 'stuff' ultimately goes farther than when hit from the fairway.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2012 4:18 AM

Best to play safe until you get used to it. Or think of a number then double it.

• PAGES
RSS