Help › Forums

Who Left the Cake out In the Rain

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jan 15 2012 11:05 PM (22 replies)
  • PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Sun, Jan 8 2012 2:04 PM

Anyway, the answer is 'someone'.

That's all you need to know. The onus here is on the cake. The whom is not important.

HTH

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 8 2012 3:34 PM

PeterHopper:

Anyway, the answer is 'someone'.

That's all you need to know. The onus here is on the cake. The whom is not important.

HTH

Ah, but the anguish of the singer is really the point.  :-)

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 4:50 PM

The inspiration for "MacArthur Park" was the relationship and breakup between Webb and Susan Ronstadt, a cousin of singer Linda Ronstadt. MacArthur Park was where the two occasionally met for lunch and spent their most enjoyable times together. At that time (mid-1965), Ronstadt worked for a life insurance company whose offices were located just across the street from the park. Webb and Ronstadt remained friends, even after her marriage to another man. The breakup was also the primary influence for "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," another Webb composition.[4]

The song begins as a poem about love, then moves into a lover's lament.[5] When asked by interviewer Terry Gross what was going through his mind when he wrote the lyrics, Webb replied that the lyrics were meant to be symbolic and referred to the end of a love aff

Jimmy Webb was peaking on acid like TImmy Leery when he wrote the song,,wiki don't tell you that because you cant handle it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 4:54 PM

BubbaCrusher007:
    Jimmy Webb was peaking on acid like TImmy Leery when he wrote the song,,wiki don't tell you that because you cant handle it.

LOL. Great snippet of history, Bubba. I was right in the middle of that time out there and it was good.  :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 5:21 PM

Oh, mid 65, I have never drugs but, that was a year after I cut my first slice. Some of you will know what I mean. WoW the days of the past.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 10:49 PM

Wow, incredible info.

I've just worked it out, I think....lol.... He was talking about the lost love he had. There was no cake...lol... But he used other words to express his feelings.

♫I don't think I can take it.♫... refers to his break-up

♫Because it took so long to make it♫ ... Refers to the love between the 2 of em.

♫Never find that recipe again♫ ...  and he would never find that love again. ♫Oh Nooooo♫

-Roger

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 11:07 PM

dead on ,mantis same thing came to my mind :)

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 2:08 AM

I was told it was a Hash cake.

<edit> Not by Jimmy Webb,mind you..

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 9:46 AM

"Because it took so long to make it.." , "Never have that recipe again"..

Apparently it's Richard Harris that initially made the song a big hit in 68. I didn't know that until now.

I admire Richard Harris as an actor, but I'm not sure I'm nuts about his singing. I mean, the guy just really sounds half cocked singing this song,although he prolly enjoyed a few pints when they recorded it.

It's interesting that an English lad would refuse to use proper grammer by insisting on singing "McAuthors Park" rather than the proper phrasing "McAuthor Park": It's not plural. Again, I think RIchard may have been toasted when he recorded it.

BUt I'm a Pink  Floyd fan anyhow.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amzJDSsC2IA&feature=related

McAuthors Park & RIchard harris history,,,funny as hell

RSS