Help › Forums

UK Golfing Break Suggestions

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 11 2012 3:21 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • adeypa
    1,151 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:02 PM

Hello fellow golfers. Myself and several of my cc mates are planning for a 2 or 3 day golfing break in the UK. We've been looking at various locations, however with so many possibilities we were wondering if any of you guys could help us out with any suggestions. Nothing too pricey tho. 

Thanks in advance, Ade

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:42 PM

Hi Ade,

I don,t know exactly where you hail from but you could have a look at the Vale of Evesham.

We have a fair few Golf clubs around here. Check out the Vale Golf Club, a very nice course. There is the Evesham Golf Course, if you like a water challenge, it runs alongside the River Avon. LOL:~)). There is also Bidford Golf Course. Not bad, Has its own Hotel as well. Broadway Golf course is always a good challenge. And if you want to travel a bit further afield, Stratford upon Avon is only 20 miles away. I believe, but have never played it, That it is Very Good.

Evesham is in the Midlands, a bit south of Birmingham, in Worcestershire. Very reachable via the M5.

You should be able to checkall of those clubs out on the Web.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

I don,t play real golf any more due to a recent illness that has debilitated me to the extent that I can,t walk the courses anymore. Sitting here rocking in my old rocking chair, in the words of Eric Clapton.

MEL1950 

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:16 PM

um.. too wide a subject area

as a group, you'll always be able to get a deal somewhere

obvious places are the belfry, woburn etc with multiple courses

what time of year? go to st andrews, stay away from the old course

or if it's more social that golf, a great place is ashbury manor, okehampton, devon. multiple courses - reasonable if not spectacular and a load of sporting activities poss away from the course. our golf society goes there for our christmas cracker weekend. quite cheap.

• adeypa
    1,151 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 12:09 PM

Mel and Oily, thanks for your help guys

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 1:16 PM

The Surrey area might be worth checking out. Lots of great courses and just a short hop into London for the night life.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 2:09 PM

So I noticed my simple post, clean and reverant, was remoed from this thread.  Did one of you British/Scottish gentlemen report it as abusive?  My my, what dainty and ultra-sensitive folks you are.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 2:13 PM

Doublemochaman:

So I noticed my simple post, clean and reverant, was remoed from this thread.  Did one of you British/Scottish gentlemen report it as abusive?  My my, what dainty and ultra-sensitive folks you are.

and what did you suggest ?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 2:22 PM

I suggested that you make the trek to St. Andrews Old Course, dig deep into your wallets, and play the course that is the mecca of golf.  Granted, it's not in the UK but it's a day's drive away.  And I further recommended you slip a flask of Laphroig into your bags as protection against the elements.  Every true golfer in Europe should play St. Andrews once in their life... and what a treat that would be to do with fello cc members.  You could compare notes between the real course and the WGT version.

• adeypa
    1,151 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 2:32 PM

DMochaman, don't think anyone removed your post, i also posted in the 'golf travels' section, think your post was in that one mate.

Think we've found one guys http://www.fingleglengolfhotel.co.uk/

Thanks for the replies gents, much appreciated.

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2012 2:36 PM

Doublemochaman:

I suggested that you make the trek to St. Andrews Old Course, dig deep into your wallets, and play the course that is the mecca of golf.  Granted, it's not in the UK but it's a day's drive away.  And I further recommended you slip a flask of Laphroig into your bags as protection against the elements.  Every true golfer in Europe should play St. Andrews once in their life... and what a treat that would be to do with fello cc members.  You could compare notes between the real course and the WGT version.

yes. i know you did.

no sensitivity over this side of the water, just a lack of memory on your side on the water 

see here http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80591.aspx

by the way,  suggest you buy an atlas....... not in the UK ?

i think you need a cup of tea :)

• PAGES
RSS