Forums

Help › Forums

How many of you, especially Legends.......

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:41 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 7:19 PM

Ditch the 3wd and carry 4 wedges,    I have been for the last few days and with the R11 irons have found it not bad at all.

Just something different to talk about in the forums I guess.

IMHO,  having the 4th wedge comes in handy much more than those few times you really need a 3wd.   Some  of the long par 3's is where I have found that it hurts the most with bad wind situations. 

Hp

• RickBarenes
    215 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 7:52 PM

About 50/50 depends where I am playing and conditions. My 3 iron off the tee ave 238 so why need a 3 wood except for lonf par 5;s and 4's

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:42 AM

I committed to 4 wedges a couple of months ago and the only time I get hurt is with wind in your face on the long par 4s, like the  one at CCC with the pond on the right of the green. If you're willing to forego an eagle opportunity or two, the coverage on the low end is excellent in all lies. Punching the  3w from the rough is a shot I miss but the R11 3i gets the job done. This isn't for everybody but I like it. :-)

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:23 AM

I do find that in most situations you can dump the 3w. I came to the conclusion long ago that 4 wedges give me more coverage. Only with wind in my face will not reach what the 3i might reach, and even when the 3i can go the distance is not guaranteed that you will be short enough to make the putt. so, my wedge can leave me close enough for a putt opportunity, cause... I can handle the wedges very well in most situations. I have the 3w and sometimes use it, but when I can't use it, either my driver or my 3i can do the job well, or at least save me a par. My wedges distances are 50, 65, 85 and 105 and though my 105 yarder punches 87, I normally use full backspin with wedges. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 11:15 AM

There's another advantage to 4 wedges. With 20 different shots you often have more than one option for the same distance. This is helpful when looking at a chip vs a pitch, or a punch instead of a full shot. For instance, 15 yards off the green in light rough could be a 64w flop, pitch or 80w chip choked or 64w chip pushed with top spin (if it's close enough to carry the fringe.) It would depend on how the ball is going to roll after it lands and having choices is good.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 12:46 PM

With the amount of shots available with wedges and the ability to underhit them by as much as 66% I see no reason to forgo the 3 wood.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:08 PM

piz:

I can almost guarantee you I can be anywhere within 5 yds with my wedges from any lie if I miss the ding, if i ding it, anywhere within 10 feet, only occasionally I get bad shots with wedges.. with the 3w I can have a good wind, and meter can do what it wants, and end up anywhere, and then I need another shot that is not a putt. 

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:17 PM

I very rarely find I have any distance inside 100 yards where I cannot manufacture a shot with one of my 3 wedges. I have carried 4 wedges in the past but I really missed the 3 wood. I think the number of occasions I benefit from having it far outweighs the possibility of being between clubs from 100 yards in.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:23 PM

You're not a fair example, Tiffer. You know your game inside and out and if I were in a competition with you I, too, would grab my 3w instead of the 4th wedge because I would have to keep up with you.

This is a little more basic than that in that with that 4th wedge and a plethora of options, taking a full swing always trumps a choke. That's probably the biggest reason I use 4 myself plus the fact I use the extra wedge 5 times as often as I would a 3w. Again, it's not for everybody but all the time I carried 4 wedges as a TM paid big dividends when I made Legend-there's no lie you're afraid of.

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:46 PM

Well what I said before is only true if the game doesn't really wanna screw things up, like in a game I had now, where I was 100 yds from the hole, 8 mph head wind  and my 105 yarder went 104 yds with 3/4 bs(didn't use full for fear of being 3 or 4 short). This game is a liar some days, missed even a 3 footer that I aimed out of the hole to the left and it went out right, as it I had never putted there... Been one of those days they make you feel miserable, nothing was right for them. There are days I really wanna go and grab them by the neck and see their tongues like 7 inches out.I can lose more than 3 yds using bs with that club, never 1 with S balls, and less against wind, they and their fuc.. VEM.

• PAGES
RSS