• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:34 PM

Ihatecheats:

Hole in one on a par 5 = Condor = 4 under par

Hole in one on a par 4 = Albatross = 3 under par

Hole in one on a par 3 = Eagle = 2 under par

One under par = Birdie

Not just on St Andrews but everywhere the R&A rules apply.

Thank you for that..kills the we did they did stuff

• TeeWade
    1,216 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:06 PM

MioKontic:

dosed:

... also known as an albatross to some people.

At the home of golf (St Andrews no less) it is known as an albatross.  The Americans had to make up their own word(s) for it!

Not saying an American didn't come up with this Double Eagle concept, but I am an American and always called and heard it referenced as an Albatross. Never heard the term Double Eagle until I came to this game   :)

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:53 AM

navigater:

Ihatecheats:

Hole in one on a par 5 = Condor = 4 under par

Hole in one on a par 4 = Albatross = 3 under par

Hole in one on a par 3 = Eagle = 2 under par

One under par = Birdie

Not just on St Andrews but everywhere the R&A rules apply.

Thank you for that..kills the we did they did stuff

Your welcome navigater, but it brings the double eagle into the discussion that it is not possible to get a double eagle anywhere except on a par 5 with a hole in one and it is already called a Condor.

An eagle is 2 under par so a double eagle must be 4 under par. I honestly don't care what it is called and the jingoistic claptrap that follows what it is called is juvenile, but logically where did the saying double eagle originate, anybody know?

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 11:57 AM

Ihatecheats:
    where did the saying double eagle originate

Looks like some guy named Ab Smith and his buddies came up with it.  Or they seem to be credited with it anyway....

http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/bogey_par.htm

http://www.doubleeagleclub.org/index.php?suffix=scoring_terms

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:28 PM

Jerm65:

Ihatecheats:
    where did the saying double eagle originate

Looks like some guy named Ab Smith and his buddies came up with it.  Or they seem to be credited with it anyway....

http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/bogey_par.htm

http://www.doubleeagleclub.org/index.php?suffix=scoring_terms

Thanks Jerm65 for that piece of sleuth work and I learned something else that a hole in one on a par 6 is an Ostrich.

There doesn,t  seem to be any logic to the naming of the shots and i'm sure if you walked into a bar in America and asked for a double whisky with the barman pouring out one and a half measures, everybody would be up in arms at the missing liquor but accept the naming of golf shots as gospel. Its a funny old game.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:00 PM

Ostrich, Albatross, Condor. These terms are alien to the American golfer. I can say this because, i try to be an American golfer (unless i happen to throw my clubs in the lake)

If you knocked it in on your 2nd shot on a par 5? Double eagle.

If you got a hole-in -one on a par 3? hole in one! Where the hell did 'eagle' come from in this scenario? oh well, i never teed it up across the pond.

If you knock in your 2nd shot on a par 4? Eagle! But apparently any shot that take u to 2 under on that hole gives you an eagle, par 3,4,5, i have not heard of a par 6, wtf?

i have never heard of a COndor nor have i heard of a par 6, I guess I have to get out more lol. Idk. What the hell kind of creature hits a hole in one on a par 6? I suppose I could google it. More fun to see what I'll hear at this site lol.

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 2:36 PM

According to The Guinness Book of World Records, the Satsuki golf course in Sano, Japan, boasts the longest hole in the world -- an exhausting 964-yard, par-7

As the Ostrich is the largest bird in the world we need a name for the par 7 maybe an Oprah?

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 3:27 PM

A double is twice one or twice the amount not two plus one as the term double eagle says. In golf a double means one and a half, weird or what.

A hole in one on a par 3 is a hole in one = eagle = 2 under par. Doesn't really matter what side of the pond you are on.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 3:39 PM

Ihatecheats:
    an exhausting 964-yard, par-7

Easily reachable in 2 with the L71 Nike balls and the (hopefully-soon-to-be-released-to-legends-only----but-I'm-definitely-not-holding-my-breath-on-that-one), R11S driver. lol

And yes, Oprah certainly is one of the biggest birds on the world, isn't she?  I'd say that's very appropriate....

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2012 4:46 PM

Oprah or a quintuple eagle LMFAO.

Jerm65:

Ihatecheats:
    an exhausting 964-yard, par-7

Easily reachable in 2 with the L71 Nike balls and the (hopefully-soon-to-be-released-to-legends-only----but-I'm-definitely-not-holding-my-breath-on-that-one), R11S driver. lol

And yes, Oprah certainly is one of the biggest birds on the world, isn't she?  I'd say that's very appropriate....

RSS