Forums

Help › Forums

sandbloggers

Mon, Jan 30 2012 12:00 PM (8 replies)
  • gozzbo
    37 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2012 3:21 PM

How about a blog dealing with the best shot/club for extricating one's ball from bunkers on the various courses. For example, a standard flop that works great  on BP doesn't work worth crap on Oakmont...and so on and so forth. 

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2012 3:52 PM
    Check out: extricatingonesballfromvariouswgtbunkers.blogspot.com
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2012 3:58 PM

gozzbo:

How about a blog dealing with the best shot/club for extricating one's ball from bunkers on the various courses. For example, a standard flop that works great  on BP doesn't work worth crap on Oakmont...and so on and so forth. 

Here is one of my Replays from the green side bunker on the 9th.

2nd shot into bunker(where I wanted it to go).... Full Shot.. Half meter...Full B/Spin.

The Aim was a bit off cause it didn't go in, but you get the idea....lol.

-Roger

• DannyPhan
    1,013 Posts
    Sat, Jan 28 2012 5:11 PM

LeonDelBosque:
    extricatingonesballfromvariouswgtbunkers.blogspot.com

The blog you were looking for was not found. If you are the owner of this blog, please sign in.

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 3:17 AM

GREAT bunker shot think i'll be trying that one out THANKS

Garry.

mantis0014:

gozzbo:

Here is one of my Replays from the green side bunker on the 9th.

2nd shot into bunker(where I wanted it to go).... Full Shot.. Half meter...Full B/Spin.

The Aim was a bit off cause it didn't go in, but you get the idea....lol.

-Roger

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 8:50 AM

gozzbo:
    For example, a standard flop that works great  on BP doesn't work worth crap on Oakmont...and so on and so forth. 

The flop shot is just a wedge shot made with a much more open club face ( the reason it flies farther to your right) and trying to more or less "scoop" into the ball into the air by sliding the club under the ball.

That said, the simple explanation to your dilemma is that the bunkers around the greens at BP are normally 15-20% lies and around almost all of the other courses, they are 30-40% lies. The flop shot works so well on BP because of the tighter lie. The ball sits more on top of the sand and let's you "scoop" the ball out( almost like on the fairway).

I rarely attempt the flop from any of the "softer"  bunkers  just because the ball sits down in the sand more. You can't get that same kind of scooping action because you have dig thru more sand to get under the ball. Your best bet, IMO, is to hit a full shot or a punch, choking down no less than 50% on the meter.

I can't give you any more advice than that. You just have to get a feel ( or take notes) for each particular circumstance because there are a lot of variables.. elevation, green speeds, how much green you have to work with, wind speed/direction, how far from the lip of the bunker, etc.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 9:19 AM

Jeffdos, do you always use full backspin on bunker shots?  You didn't mention this element.

Otherwise, thanks for explaining your logic in bunker play.

• TGor
    313 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 9:34 AM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 12:00 PM

Learn the punch and pitch shots out of traps. You'll never get hung up. The 60/70 lie you get when the tree drops you into the trap at CCC4 is a punch all day.   :-)

RSS