Help › Forums

Bogus videos

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 26 2012 5:02 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 4:39 AM

This may only apply to UK players, but there are currently some bogus videos when you click on the grey bar in the Watch Videos section.  They came on late last night.  There are 7 of them currently; 3 occurrences of one video, 2 occurrences of another, and 2 occurrences of a third, all supposedly videos advertising Sony.

Don't know if they have any viruses behind them or not, but I would suggest not clicking on them.  If you do click on them they simply don't play but take a long time loading.  I clicked on the first one and after a while it timed out saying the server took too long to respond, but the web address it went to was videos.prankies.com... which does not sound like a legitimate site.

• Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 4:52 AM

Getting the same thing here Mio, as well as the videos.prankies.com site there is another one video.muppetism.com that they try (and fail) to load from. Both definitely sound a bit bogus.

Maybe Icon could confirm whether these are genuine WGT approved videos and, if so, why they don't work.

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 8:10 AM

The bogus videos have now disappeared off the list.

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 8:56 AM

Hi Mio,I've still got those dam bogus video's on my laptop, I wish they we're gone if they are doggy as you advised I'm no longer trying to view them.P.S.Don't suppose you got a cure for doggy players have you :)

THANKS.Garry.

MioKontic:

The bogus videos have now disappeared off the list.

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 10:18 AM

No, they haven't gone. I still have them. Tried every-thing I know and can't seem to get rid of them. What's going on WGT. Do YOU have any idea!!!!!!!!!?????

If they are not bogus ten thank-you very much, the credits would be handy. But if they are a danger to our systems could you please dispose of them as soon as possible.

It does beg an answer if they are bogus...........How did they get on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   hmmmm

MEL1950

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 10:31 AM

You're right, they're back on, all 7 of them.  I don't suppose WGT can actually remove them as it's a third party website, I would have thought LiveGamer (or whatever they're called) need to remove them.  But obviously, only if they're bogus, which to me it looks like they are.

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 10:45 AM

I have just had a some unwanted activity come up on my PC which tried to download some software and saying it was required because if had found files on it that shouldn't be there.  But it was not from my anti-virus software, so I'm thinking these videos have caused this.

I am at this moment running a full scan of my PC to see if it finds anything.  This might be a time to clear all my caches, temporary internet files, etc.

This is not good if these videos have caused this.

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 12:39 PM

I have deleted all cookies (but not cleared caches as I don't really want to do that unless I have to) and done a system scan which showed nothing, so I'm hoping whatever it was has gone.  Fingers crossed!

• Steve442
    710 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 12:46 PM

I don't think these videos are harmful, a couple ran for me first thing this morning and I was awarded the points.

The website is: http://www.prankies.com/

Seems harmless enough and isn't blocked by my AV as a threat. You can never be too sure though so some response from WGT would be useful.

Ran a full AV Scan - nothing found.

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2012 3:19 PM

Mio,Ran all the same checks on my laptop all was clear so hope your's is too,The video links have now disappeared as well if they were ok best be safe than sorry I say.

Garry.

• PAGES
RSS