Forums

Help › Forums

tricky one for Yankee Jim

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:14 PM (25 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 2:14 PM

If you have 30yds to pin ... Using the L80 C64,  Full shot..Full B/spin... Ding.. ball will stop next to or in hole depending on you aim.  Missing the ding will reduce the distance, which might mean you have a tricky 7ft putt

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 2:58 PM

Have you tried different spins with that shot and if so, are they typical results?

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Feb 24 2012 6:16 PM

YankeeJim:

Have you tried different spins with that shot and if so, are they typical results?

Not really Jim...  Not into chipping on the greens, I would rather Putt to get that Diamond putting award.. lol. My putting is not bad... just use the shot when it's needed.

In the situation when there is a huge hole between you and the pin (like the OP's situation) then I would chip it, which is around the 30yrd mark. Anything longer or shorter...not sure 

I know that the Full shot, Full B/spin with the c64 wedge,  when there is a 25-30 yrd range does work.  It gets you within the 1-2rd  mark.

It's not natural for me to use the chip shot on greens.. just have it in ya bag if needed.

-Roger

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 7:06 AM

mantis0014:

YankeeJim:

Not really Jim...  Not into chipping on the greens, I would rather Putt to get that Diamond putting award.. lol. My putting is not bad... just use the shot when it's needed.

In the situation when there is a huge hole between you and the pin (like the OP's situation) then I would chip it, which is around the 30yrd mark. Anything longer or shorter...not sure 

I know that the Full shot, Full B/spin with the c64 wedge,  when there is a 25-30 yrd range does work.  It gets you within the 1-2rd  mark.

It's not natural for me to use the chip shot on greens.. just have it in ya bag if needed.

-Roger

will have to give that a try

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:13 AM

I was out on #1 STA practising different spins but had a 19 mph wind so straight into it 23 yards I hit the CG 64º 50 yards full BS and stiffed it, no run no spin back.

The same shot with no spin had less control but I didn't ding it and was 8 feet short.

The shot will go very very wrong if you don't ding it.

Same as a long distance bunker shot, it will go nowhere if you miss the ding by more than a millimetre

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:14 PM

oneeyedjohn:
    The shot will go very very wrong if you don't ding it.

Not with a punch and you just put out there a great place to use it if you don't like pitching.That 23 into a 19 wind with full bs and a 75% punch will drop and hop. Pitching the CG80w there is even better. Both of these shots give much better results if you miss the ding than that high flying full shot.

RSS