Forums

Help › Forums

Belated introduction

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:08 PM (4 replies)
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:23 AM

Hello to all.  Have been here almost two months but never got around to introducing myself.

One look at my level and score history will tell you how much I've been enjoying the game and how determined I've been to move up the tiers, not to mention how addicted I've become to St. Andrews.  Needless to say, I've worn out the front 9 getting my stroke avg. down enough to make Legend.  This may cause some of you veterans to raise an eyebrow and I understand that completely...it doesn't exactly make for a well-rounded virtual golfer.

In my defense (if defense is necessary) I'm 60 years old and wanted to make Legend before they cover my sorry bones with the final divots.  Seriously, it's just sort of my nature to go into a project full-bore then consider ramifications later.

I don't advise others to take this road because it's probably better to let things unfold gradually, but there it is.

I do enjoy the view from the tips.  You get to see the full beauty of these magnificant courses, and you get to use those neglected long irons.  My first full round at St. A brought me a dose of reality as I struggled to shoot a 73.  I followed it up with a 66 which made me feel a little better about my mad dash to the top tier.

Now comes the long haul from level 76 to level 83 so I can upgrade to the high level G-20s.  I think what I've learned is that it's definitely time to lean back and enjoy the ride and the view...and yes, time to play the courses I've pretty much neglected for the past few weeks...Oakmont and its maddening greens, Congressional and its tucked-away pins,  BP and its twisty turns.

Anyway, thanks for reading what is probably much too long of an intro, thanks to those who've offered good advice along the way, and thanks to WGT for providing us such a cool game.  I might even try a tourney or three once I can get my hands on those level 83 G-20s.

;-)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:46 AM

Welcome to the Legend tier Mkg. When playing Oakmont, take the high and low elevations into account and add or subtract the appropriate distances. With the greens, add a bit of power to the putts with big break so the ball will hold the putting line. Learn the greens on all the courses and get a feel for the best places to land the ball that will give you the flattest putts. And practice, practice, practice as usual.

Hittem' straight and have fun. : )

• alosso
    21,056 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2012 11:09 AM

Applause for you after reaching the ultimate tier!

Have you had any sleep in the last 55 nights? :)

Enjoy the ride now and the beautiful pictures - I've been around a bit, alas advancing a wee bit less speedy.

I'm jealous of you, and just to needle you in revenge: I'll be at level 83 next week - looking forward to those beloved clubs ;->

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2012 11:46 AM

Richard, thanks, and thanks for the great advice.

alosso, I think I've had some sleep, but maybe I was just dreaming. ;-)  I envy you getting your hands on those clubs!

• manuvarram
    2 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:08 PM

westoy de acuerdo con tgo

RSS