Help › Forums

mulligans during practice?

Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:56 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 6:37 PM

Hi Jay,

Your on the right track, but practice greens and driving ranges on most public courses are like Jim described.

Their is usually a 50 yard wide, 200 yard or so long field to drive in, and a huge green with multiple hole positions and lots of undulation.

That would be ample for practice and no one would find the secret to a birdie on the 15th hole at Bethpage. lol

Why can't WGT just photo the practice greens and driving ranges from the current stroke play courses we play? Sounds like a simple solution, along with the hard work of course.

*edit: I vote no mulligans.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 7:08 PM

I vote for a standard driving range. Charge 10 credits for a bucket of 200 balls. Set it so you can click for tee shot or fairway shot.

Practice putting green. 30 minutes time for 10 credits. Set it so you place an X where you want to putt from and click the mouse to place the ball.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:07 PM

I saw the driving range at St. Andrews, has anyone else seen it? It was similar looking to what Jim described Kiawah looked like.

It's on the right side of hole 2 green, looking straight in to the green from the fairway. It has a long curved, all covered tee boxes, and the putting green is just behind the center of the tee boxes. There must be 20 or 30 tee boxes.

If you get a putt from the left side of the hole, you can see it good from an Ariel view when viewing a replay. It would be neat if we could drive and putt around on them.

I wonder what it would take to implement them in the game?

• Cliffs1953
    13 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 5:56 AM

Why charge anything for people to practice? If WGT charges for everything, then they may lose some of their base players.

If we could practice, we would probably enter tourneys quicker. Why, because we would feel more competitive. I know I just started this game but I KNOW I won't win any tourney, therefore I haven't joined any.

They don't have to allow mulligans in every practice round on every course. Why not make one course available for practice but never for play in tourneys. You wouldn't get your perfect shot set up players but we could place the ball in those areas of play that we struggle with. Most of us can hit a drive fairly straight in this game, so drives need not be allowed for mulligans. But I know I would love to be able to retry the shot I just took into a green over a bunker that went past the green into the rough. Maybe I need to see if a different club works better for me or a little less/more on the meter.

Unless I play lots of rounds on the same course, I won't be able to try these other approaches but having a practice course gives me some inkling of what my clubs can/cannot do. I often wonder how many people have picked up this game but also stopped playing because of this lack of being able to practice.

Somebody mentioned Tiger like shooting. Ask yourself how Tiger or any real life pro got as good as they are. We all know it's not because they only play 4 days a week. How many balls do any of you think Phil M. has hit to become the world's best at close in iron play? He didn't get that good from playing only 4 days a week.

My 2 cents from a noob of a game I am really enjoying.

• PAGES
RSS