Forums

Help › Forums

Gimmes

Sun, Apr 8 2012 3:32 AM (31 replies)
  • billy421
    2 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2012 1:39 PM

Can someone please explain the "gimme" rule to me. I was playing tonight and my opponent got annoyed because I would not gimme a 3ft putt. We had not made any agreement prior to the game and I thought it was up to the individual when he/she should gimme.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2012 2:50 PM

no such rule exist. I personally do not give anything outside 1ft, friend or foe and my friends know this and still make fun of me for that reason.

-wgticon

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sun, Apr 1 2012 8:32 PM

When I play alt, I am usually just playing for #$#$@ and giggles, and I'll gimme 3' and in unless its a particularly nasty green  or a pivotal putt.  However, I never expect gimmes and approach every putt as if I intend to hit and make it.    If I was playing in an MPC or some form of structured competition, I'd make them play it out.  But for casual play, my rule of thumb if I am familiar with the opponent is whether I think they'd make it.  If so, I'll concede it.  If I'm not familiar, and the putt looks like it'd be easy for me, I'll concede it.

I do think it is silly for anyone to expect concedes without prior discussion, and infantile to get visibly miffed if someone doesn't concede a gimme.  Aren't there enough things in the world to get your pants in a bunch over?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 12:51 AM

+1!

Real golfers know that concedes are completely to the discretion of the person in charge and that they are used and denied as a psychological tool of competition.

Therefore, I object to the agreements "putts inside ... feet", these must be from noobs or time-pressed players. Wouldn't accept it in a challenge.

OTOH, it's only a game, we wanna have fun!

• Michelled79
    164 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 1:02 AM

Ive also heard that conceding creates a "no spin" glitch on the next shot, so alot of players dont concede at all for that reason.

Michelle

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 1:17 AM

I is giving a 3 foot put on St Andrews 1st but on St Andrews 2nd I not even give 1 foot on slippy hill.

• TrufflIE
    524 Posts
    Mon, Apr 2 2012 3:32 PM

Most of the people I play with don't miss much from inside 10 feet (Courtney01) and I still don't give them any putts.

I'm trying to win lol

• Allen63
    364 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 4:59 AM

No such thing as a "gimme". Just like there are no "mulligans" in WGT. If someone has an expectation of a concede, they should be angry at themselves if they don't get it for trying to impose their expectations/values on someone else.

That's similar to going to a restaurant, getting terrible service and the waiter still having an expectation of a good tip. NOT!

I concede when I feel like it. Which is to say, for example, not too often on Oak or Kiawah. Those greens are killer and if you don't know the nuances of the tricky ones, they can change the direction of a game.

Just putt it out and shut up. (no offense)

Allen

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:13 AM

Conceding the hole definitely causes the glitch, conceding putts not so much.

Michelled79:

Ive also heard that conceding creates a "no spin" glitch on the next shot, so alot of players dont concede at all for that reason.

Michelle

• Pryke
    295 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:21 AM

'Gimmes' all depend on the situation you're facing. Don't play Matchplay often, mainly alt shot, I would be more likely to concede a putt to the opposition if the next putt is mine. If I then miss its my own fault. As for getting angry for not conceding...pathetic. After all there is a 'yes' and 'no' button for everyone.

RSS