Forums

Help › Forums

Gimmes

Sun, Apr 8 2012 3:32 AM (31 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 11:13 AM

MBaggese:
    That said, the holes I mentioned (as well as a few others) are missed many times without being metered, unless your telling me you never missed a 2 footer on the above holes;)

LOL. Sure can't say that plus I should have mentioned that the type of putter the op uses also plays into it. Spiders and Starters don't get generous concedes. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:09 PM

One opinion to agree to,

My "gimme rule" is: Never expect to get them, and you won't get annoyed when you don't

and yet another:

anobair69:
    I would normally go for the 2ft or under rule at the start of a game and if that's not agreeable there is always lot's of other people to play.
    I don't like the "rule" thing though I concede many putts inside 3 ft.

OTOH, ano, would you quit a game if you don't get consent to your rule?

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 12:20 PM

Here is another take on conceding putts. Concede almost anything in the first part of the match and then when it really counts in the latter stages of the match concede nothing. After not having to putt early in the match then having to make even a moderately difficult putt becomes even harder because of the added pressure of needing to make the putt to either stay in the match or win it. This was the strategy of one of the greatest golfers of his time. Sam Snead. 

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 2:29 PM

I NEVER MISS PUTTS

on a consistent basis

mostly always

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 4:01 PM

YankeeJim:

but if you're just playing for fun do you really want to win on a metered or borked 2-3 foot putt?You didn't beat the other player. 

Sorry Jim but it is impossible to ascertain one's been metered or else, unless you take the other person at face value. In any case then we get metered on drives, approaches etc. - where do we stop?

Meter problems are for all here at wgt and give or take they even out in the end and that alone is no good reason, in my view, to support gimmes.

With this I am not saying I don't concede putts.

I concede when I see that it is unmissable or the outcome is a foregone conclusion. But I can see people getting peeved if you don't do at times and this defies the initial intentions of WGT in introducing the facility - always in my view. The very reason we are discussing this is a proof of it.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:40 PM

Most of the time I play the Multiplayer games with Friends and I usually concede the 2ft Putts except for a match winning Putt and maybe on the Dangerous greens. As Jim said before.. if it's a friendly game, I would hate to see anybody miss a 2ft putt (some of time..hehe).

Now saying that, when possible I wouldn't give anything on Whistler...lol

-Roger

• 3puttsSuk
    361 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 6:56 PM

I'm not changing the subject but during the free rental period I rented the Nike putter.

With the 10 foot meter, I couldn't even sink a tap in unless it was dead straight.  My own fault of course. I missed one from .7 feet.  Sure wish there was a gimmie option lol

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:47 PM

LeonDelBosque:
    My "gimme rule" is: Never expect to get them, and you won't get annoyed when you don't

I really feel a need to put an AMEN to that. 

Just so happens that Leon and I are in the same CC. I have NEVER played an A/S or Match outside my CC, so really have no real knowledge to offer advice. 

Our members are knowledgeable enough to go ahead and concede a 20 footer, when they have a 2-3 footer for the hole. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:18 PM

Sanco:
    Sorry Jim but it is impossible to ascertain one's been metered or else, unless you take the other person at face value. In any case then we get metered on drives, approaches etc. - where do we stop?

The point wasn't about getting metered, it was about getting a cheap win,  for whatever reason. 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:28 PM

mantis0014:
    Now saying that, when possible I wouldn't give anything on Whistler...lol

True Dat!

RSS