Forums

Help › Forums

Gimmes

Sun, Apr 8 2012 3:32 AM (31 replies)
  • Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:36 AM

billy421:

Can someone please explain the "gimme" rule to me. I was playing tonight and my opponent got annoyed because I would not gimme a 3ft putt. We had not made any agreement prior to the game and I thought it was up to the individual when he/she should gimme.

There is no gimmie or concede rule as mentioned previously. In the matches I play usually there is a concede distance agreement put forth at the beginning of the match if I am playing with people I don't know. If none is made then it is up to the discretion of each person or team. Also there may be certain holes that are agreed not to concede even 1ft putts such I believe #15 on Bethpage. So if someone get's ticked off because there is no concede when nothing has been mentioned then I usually remind them they had not requested a concede rule for the match and go forth from there. If they continue to argue the point and continue to be argumentative then I might suggest a mutual agreement to end the match.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 4:13 AM

Let me add this quote from <http://www.quotegarden.com/golf.html>:

A "gimme" can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers, neither of whom can putt very well.  ~Author Unknown

^^

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:21 AM

alosso:

Let me add this quote from <http://www.quotegarden.com/golf.html>:

A "gimme" can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers, neither of whom can putt very well.  ~Author Unknown

^^

As we used to say when I was in the Army "Gimmie got killed in Vietnam, so you gotta earn it soldier!"

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:52 AM

Michelled79:

Ive also heard that conceding creates a "no spin" glitch on the next shot, so alot of players dont concede at all for that reason.Michelle

That has been fixed.  :-)

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 9:19 AM

My "gimme rule" is: Never expect to get them, and you won't get annoyed when you don't

• anobair69
    6 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 9:21 AM

I would normally go for the 2ft or under rule at the start of a game and if that's not agreeable there is always lot's of other people to play.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 9:50 AM

anobair69:

I would normally go for the 2ft or under rule at the start of a game and if that's not agreeable there is always lot's of other people to play.

So, you expect a "gimme" on SA #2, BPB #15, Oak #9, etc, etc, because you are within 2 foot?

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:06 AM

If it's unmissable, you give it, it's as easy as that.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:39 AM

MBaggese:
    So, you expect a "gimme" on SA #2, BPB #15, Oak #9, etc, etc, because you are within 2 foot?

LOL. If you insist.  :-)

I consider gimmes a convenience for moving the game along. If something's on the line of course you shouldn't expect them, like MPCs or that Godelescher's tourney, but if you're just playing for fun do you really want to win on a metered or borked 2-3 foot putt?You didn't beat the other player. They beat themselves. 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:53 AM

YankeeJim:
    n do you really want to win on a metered or borked 2-3 foot putt?You didn't beat the other player.

I agree, and many times I've given 4+ putts on many greens, even in MPC's, etc.

That said, the holes I mentioned (as well as a few others) are missed many times without being metered, unless your telling me you never missed a 2 footer on the above holes;)

RSS