Forums

Help › Forums

The "perfect" combination of wedges.

Fri, May 4 2012 10:44 AM (29 replies)
  • pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 11:04 PM

Win1Soon:

There is no 1 correct answer. If within your budget I would explore different clubs and find out what works best for you and your style. All these clubs have there own unique features, but your looking for the very best  benefit for your game :-) GL out there!

Win1

During the free rental weekend, I think I went through just about every wedge up to 100 yards, looking at combinations, playing Kiawah 1 over...and over...and over...going through the trying full bs and punch to get a gauge of what distances I was able to get.  I think I still have the spreadsheet I used and with a little cleanup, can post my findings.

I've been using the lower level Z Satins (85yd, 65yd, 50yd) for a long, long time with the Calloway balls and the only reason I'm considering a change is to be prepared for when I get to Legend (yes, I said when).  In my tests, I really preferred the Clevelands, even with the extra spin, as I was able to adjust quickly.  I like the idea that I can hit a ball past the pin and get it to spin back to it.  The Pings were nice, but when I do change, I'm likely to go with the Clevelands.

• cycle1979
    1,555 Posts
    Thu, May 3 2012 5:10 AM

I agree with the Clevelands.  They do have a lot of spin but depending on where you strike the ball you have a ton of control over them.  You can have a hard backspin to compensate for a downslope on a green or a strong tailwind or you can topspin the ball for a little more roll.  They take a lot of practice but once you understand them you can hit a variety of shots as compared to other wedges.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, May 3 2012 9:23 PM

CG 56: 100 yds

Ping 60: 75 yds

Z Satin: 50 yds

• pilota1975
    59 Posts
    Thu, May 3 2012 10:39 PM

Hi ,

i use G20 Iron Set with a PW 115Yards.

Wedges : Zatin 93Yards

Zatin 77Yards

Zatin 50Yards

No Hybrid in my bag lol! Greetings from Italy.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, May 3 2012 10:45 PM

Give me a ding and a Ping

And a CG 60!

• pUGfANmn
    436 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 1:56 AM

MBaggese:

Give me a ding and a Ping

And a CG 60!

And a rimshot for good measure?

(Thank you, I'll be here all week.)

• RUNWME
    1,011 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 5:20 AM

Im a fan of the 100 80 60 cleveland wedges They punch 84 68 and 50 with good coverage.

I rarely ever use bs  on the clubs but good to know its there if needed.

Flops very consistently and 17yrd pitch stops on a dime.

• kmarline21
    442 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 6:05 AM

CG CG CG CG CG CG CG CG CG CG CG! nuff said

• Milfshake
    1,260 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 6:29 AM

I miss my mommy.

• ChipNSink
    427 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 10:44 AM

I made do with the 38lv zatins untill I reached high level CGs. My bag now holds the 56degree (100y), 60degree (80y) and the 64degree (60y) CGs. And they are a killer combo for my playing style.

Dont have to add bs except for previous mentioned occasions (tailwind, slope greens) and also for a green elevated high above your place of approach. (BPB #2 i.e.) And then its still a matter of feel how much bs to apply.

I tend to flop all of green shots within 15-18 yards. And the 64 works like a charm every time. Depending on green surfaces, half to full backspin will do on those shots.

RSS