Forums

Help › Forums

The "perfect" combination of wedges.

Fri, May 4 2012 10:44 AM (29 replies)
  • pb1711
    1,183 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 12:59 AM

For the last week or so I have been considering giving the CG's another try. (I tried and didn't like them too much before, but in all fairness, I don't think I gave them enough of a chance)

I would like to hear what combinations some of the other players have, that work really well, whether it be CG's, satins, mixed etc. I'm looking for a combination that will cover all/most distances, with my current combination, if I have a 60yrd shot with a strong tail wind, I'm in trouble. :-)

Ideally, I would like to get 2 extra wedges, keeping my 50 yrd satin, as it's not only a good wedge at 50 yrds but great around the green too. (chipping, pitching and flopping)

Thanks all

• StrokerLee
    94 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:39 AM

pb1711:

I would like to hear what combinations some of the other players have, that work really well, whether it be CG's, satins, mixed etc. I'm looking for a combination that will cover all/most distances, with my current combination, if I have a 60yrd shot with a strong tail wind, I'm in trouble. :-)

Ideally, I would like to get 2 extra wedges, keeping my 50 yrd satin, as it's not only a good wedge at 50 yrds but great around the green too. (chipping, pitching and flopping)

Well of course there will be lots of pros and cons about this !!! But personally and right now I am playing with 3 wedges...the 'Z Satin 50 yarder'...the 'Z Satin 77 yarder' and the 'Z Satin 105 yarder' !!! Now let me say that I do have all of the Cleveland wedges that there is to have !!! But (and this maybe just for me) they do not seem to be as consistent with there Distance(s) and or Spin (whether it's backspin or topspin) on any 2 shots that may be similar...However I do like the fact that they are 'High Loft' hitting clubs...but with that said I would expect a little more accuracy and consistency out of them !!!  Whereas my 'Z Satin' wedges only boasts a Med/High loft...but yet (and once again this is for me and my expierience(s) with them) they seem to be a little more consistent with both their yardage and their spins!!!  Then you also have to fit in what is your PW yardage for the Irons thatyou are using right now as well !!! I'm using primarily the G-10 Irons that hits down from 210 yards (3 iron) to 115 yards (pw) !!! And in closing I personally would hope to one day Master the Cleveland Wedges...because if I could or can do that...then ideally... the best line up of wedges (all Cleveland's) would be the 60 yarder...the 80 yarder...and of course the 100/105 yarder!!!  Hope I was of some help to you!!  I'm at the 'Master' tier on level 86 with a 64.65 average...so I still have a lot of work in this area as well !!!

• MUSTAQBAL1
    270 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 2:51 AM

i initially purchased 3 of the upper level cleveland's, the 60, 80 and 100 yarder.  after playing my first round with them on the backside at st. adrews, my first aproach shot landed 1 foot from the hole on #10 and spun all the way back and drop into that little creek. after that, i changed them back out for my pings. 

several months later, i decided to give them another try and so far, i have been able to tame the spin, or at least learn how they play. they can be very effective and in my opinion, better than any of the other wedges if you know how to use them correctly.  the 60 yarder will punch at 50 yards and with the higher loft, you do have to adjust your aproach shots regarding the wind with any of the clevelands. you rarely have to use backspin unless chipping downhill or playing flop shots to odd hole locations and it's in those instances where the clevelands will shine over many of the other wedges. of course if tibbets was still playing, then the starter wedges would be all you need. ability and practice.

qbal

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:57 AM

pb1711:
    Ideally, I would like to get 2 extra wedges, keeping my 50 yrd satin, as it's not only a good wedge at 50 yrds but great around the green too.

I used those 2 oil can wedges you have with the Satin64 for a long time and had a hard time parting with them when the CGs came out. One round with the CGs made it very clear that they were worth learning. 

A lot of players stay with the Satin64 and go with the CG 80 and 100. As good as the oil can Satins were, the CGs make you forget them in a hurry.  :-)

• pb1711
    1,183 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 6:04 AM

YankeeJim:
    A lot of players stay with the Satin64 and go with the CG 80 and 100. As good as the oil can Satins were, the CGs make you forget them in a hurry.  :-)

Thx guys for the suggestions.

I was thinking something along these lines. Think I'm going to give it a try.

Can I ask what you do for shots around the 107-110 yrd mark? Just take tome power off the PW? I know the PW punches 103, I do use that sometimes.

• HDBanger
    348 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 6:16 AM

The cleveland 115 wedge goes 107-108 yards full hit, full spin. I carry the 60, 80 and 115 cl wedges. the 60 yd wedge is awesome for around the green etc, and even nicer for chipping on the greens. I have my 60 wedge mapped down to 5 yds from fair/rough/fringe using avatar movements, same with on the green, using avatar movements I can chip with it on the green anywhere from 1.5 ft to 82 feet, accurately.  They really do rock, but they do have a learning curve for sure.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 7:35 AM

pb1711:
    Can I ask what you do for shots around the 107-110 yrd mark? Just take tome power off the PW? I know the PW punches 103, I do use that sometimes.

I actually carry 4 wedges and when I carry a 3W I do like HDB does-keep the CG115 instead of the 100. Even though it's only 5 yards away from the set PW, it punches 96, has the slower wedge meter and is really easy to choke on a full swing and stick anywhere from 105 to 120.

Punching the R11 set wedge works really good if you elect to go with the 100 version. You just have to know how the roll out works and the meter is a tad faster. Choking that set wedge with spin is very accurate and easy to learn.

• Win1Soon
    385 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 9:06 AM

There is no 1 correct answer. If within your budget I would explore different clubs and find out what works best for you and your style. All these clubs have there own unique features, but your looking for the very best  benefit for your game :-) GL out there!

Win1

• Allen63
    364 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:18 AM

The biggest difference with the CG's and the satins (not counting when you apply backspin to the CG's which is more like pulling a string on a top) is in the precision rating. With the CG's, I find the applied backspin is like a volume control. Moving it to topspin doesn't give rollout, rather it simply adds some distance. The more topspin, the more distance. Dependent on wind direction too of course. either way, even with full topspin they usually stop on a dime.

• BG20bball
    57 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:26 AM

hey guys check out my blog:

thehaystack.weebly.com and make your masters picks

RSS