Forums

Help › Forums

Jack high

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 30 2012 6:08 PM (4 replies)
  • MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:29 AM

For many weeks now we have had little to no rain in the UK.  In fact, for a couple of weeks in March we had glorious sunshine and nearly t-shirt weather.  I was going to say bikini weather, but I would look rather silly in a bikini.  No, I would, honest!

Anyway, back to the weather.  Yes, it's been rather glorious.  Last night was the start of the crown green bowls season here in Shropshire (and probably many other counties in the UK too).  I gave up playing 3 years ago because I got rather fed up playing week in week out in rain when it is meant to be summer.  But, even though it is yet another expense which doesn't hold too well when you're unemployed and not a penny income, I did it in order to cut down my time on here.  And guess what... not 2 hours before the game is supposed to start (7pm UK time), the rain starts.  Drizzle at first, but by the time the game started it was coming down rather heavy.

I've always generally played in the back 4 of a 12-man (and woman) team, and you can usually guarantee that is when it rains the most.  But for once yesterday was different; by the time I went on at no. 11 the rain had stopped, and although it was cold it wasn't totally unpleasant as it might have been had it been raining too.

Having not played in 3 years except for a couple of friendly games with friends I was a little nervous.  But I started well and won the first 4 points before going downhill.  With the game at 20-10 to my opponent and only requiring one more for the win, and on a mark where my woods seemed to do something completely different to either the jack or his woods, I looked dead and buried.  But I managed to finally win an end and said bye bye to that goddamn awful mark.  And would you believe I somehow pulled the game out of the fire and ran out a 21-20 winner.  I've once seen someone come back from 20-13 down, but never from as far back as 10.  The team won 10-2... not bad away from home.

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 3:37 AM

Out of the 5 games I have meant to have played since the season started, we've had rain during 2 of them, 2 others have been called off because of waterlogged greens due to too much rain, and only 1 dry game!

Isn't summer great!  Maybe outdoor bowls should become a winter sport because I'm sure we'd get less rain.

• scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 5:14 AM

we had mid 20s in march, played a few rounds in short sleeves. this week sleet , snow gales up north, -3 last night.did we have summer in march?

• MioKontic
    4,644 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 5:02 PM

scottishbloke:
    did we have summer in march?

I think we did, was the same in the Midlands.

Well, tonight was bowls night again.  At 6:45pm the sun was shining.  At 6:55pm, 5 minutes before the scheduled start it started raining - what a surprise!  By 7:02pm (just before the game actually got under way) it had stopped, and remained dry all evening, with a little evening sun too.

So, finally a dry bowls game!

• scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Mon, Apr 30 2012 6:08 PM

lol know the feeling, good old british summertime, thank the lord we have wgt.

RSS