Help › Forums

*sighs* To clear up confusion...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:32 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:32 AM

I saw a thread that I had missed originally (now locked), where a discussion devolved into accusations of racism and insults, and it was all based on the use of the emotive word, snicker (a small, usually somewhat derisive giggle), bracketed by the symbol *.  According to a (sadly misinformed) poster, when the word is bracketed by this symbol, it becomes a racist term.  This is of course incorrect, as the word 'snickers' is, to my knowledge, never racist although it is phonetically similar to a racist word.  But what intrigued me was the poster's insistence that the use of * made it a derogatory racist term.

I am a longtime role player, starting with D&D and through several other games and modes, including amateur acting as a young man.  In typed role play, when one is indicating an action, usually emotive, people often use * to differentiate from spoken work.  For example, *grins*, *laughs*, *cries*, and yes, *giggles* or *snickers*.  Used like this, the * indicates that this is an action you are undertaking.  It would be odd, in conversation, for someone to say 'Giggles'.  However, not so odd for someone to giggle, and *giggles* is shorter and more fluid than "I am giggling".

I brought this up mainly because the thread in which this occurred wasn't the first time this has happened.  I was playing an alt shot match in the past when my partner used *snickers* after an inside joke I had made, and one of our opponents got upset about it.  So, just to clear things up:

*snickers* is not, nor has it ever been, a racist term, any more than *shudders* or *sticks his tongue out* or *does the Snoopy Happy Dance*.  It just means someone is giggling softly to themselves.  And any time in the future, if you see a word bracketed by *, check if the word or phrase inside the *s describes an action.  And if that action isn't *breaks his foot off in your @ss*, just leave it be.

And, I have seen -cries-, ~cries~, and other punctuation symbols used instead of *.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:59 AM

It's just a nutty choc bar to me. Some people seem to take offence at anything.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 9:07 AM

You might want to look it up online in an urban slang dictionary...

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:02 AM

Doublemochaman:

#3 on Urbandictionary.com

TBH, never heard of it being used that way.

• oneputtdavid
    1,337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:11 AM

Liked ur topic JL, "Racist" Why does anyone get offended in this day of age... of words? 

Every human on this planet is a "racist" in one form or another!

relations

religion

Race

morality

sexual preference

political views

sports team preferences

etc, etc, etc...................

Call a person other then white a *** and get charged with a hate crime!

Call a person other that black a pecker-wood, cracker, whitey, kite, wop, ***, coco, and its funny?

That kind as strikes me as "racist"....IMHO

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*** is a noun in the English language, most notable for its usage in a pejorative context to refer to black people (generally people of Sub-Saharan African descent), and also as an informal slang term, among other contexts. It is a common ethnic slur, and suggests that its target is extremely unsophisticated. The word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of theSpanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, meaning the color "black".[1][2][3][4]

For what its worth!

***** ("N") from this post just goes to show me racist at its finest!

• Courtney01
    912 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2012 7:47 AM

I was asked so nicly to stay out of this cos i was not tactfull enough in my first post, ( I agree i lacked it  there) ............... but would so love to comment. Just wish some one  would have the guts to respond

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2012 3:10 PM

Doublemochaman:

Urban slang is nonsense, it is gibberish.  Not only that, but if someone took a word that already had a number of meanings (a small chuckle, a candy bar) and turned it into a nonsense word that means something offensive, that's not my problem.  I can say that, from now on, 'Jesus Christ' means a homely looking white girl.  Does that mean no one can use the term because it is derogatory?  No.  I am 47 years old, I have lived in Washington DC, Baltimore, NYC, Rome Italy, and spent years in the restaurant business.  I have never used 'snickers', with or without the '*', nor have I heard it used, as a racist term.  So, just because Usher doesn't know English well enough that he has to make up meanings for words that already have meanings (using Usher because apparently he used the word as a racial term in a song), that doesn't make a word offensive.  God forbid Usher should be the arbiter of how we should use language.

And again, what I found interesting was the theory that, because it was bracketed by the asterisk, that made it racist.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Apr 9 2012 5:06 PM

Basically, it comes down to how the user meant it.  Bottom line.  What is behind the word usage?

• Courtney01
    912 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 7:39 AM

esssy:

your bloody out of your mind pal everybody is not a racist in any shape or form your wires are crossed and very uneducated even if you did go to school learn the human nature and body language around the world and its very different than the 50s and 60s where most got away with alot more than being a racist.

you know a dictionary will not give you human nature spirit what there really FEELING you know.

ok these two sentences you said this would be between two close friends black and white and can be excepted right,,,but trying to make a point for your selfish needs with these two sentences is racists.

hate crime dont make me laugh go through the years and see who was the real racists people in the world because most of the world got built through racist people??  

Call a person other then white a *** and get charged with a hate crime!

Call a person other that black a pecker-wood, cracker, whitey, kite, wop, ***, coco, and its funny?

most people who are racist have jealous what the other has so they will get it any way as possible by setting up racial slurs or saying they are going to be attack by people who have nothing +MEANING FROM POOR PEOPLE

this is where it started mostly when the very poor needed help others will use them to benefit themselves to act like they help others but really help themselves you wonder why with civil wars around this world they all want the same thing but both partys have a belief they are going to change the world until they realized they destroyed there own country for a selfish beliefs.

LIKE SAID BEFORE DICTIONARY is nothing in this day and age its just meanings not true facts of the human spirit SO I WILL SAY THIS EVERYBODY IS NOT A RACIST IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM

the time effort people put in being racist and destroying there own familys future for need of help from others when they really need help

SO STOP FEELING THAT YOUR THREATEN and start actually eating a meat pie instead of eating pies filled with veggies lol

Sheesh dude do u ever stay Sober Long enough to actually write a Half decent Post?

It sounds as if u Slurring, mumbling in a non-coherent manner while stumbling across the vast abyss of nowhere land

• PAGES
RSS