rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:32 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:43 AM

Courtney01:
    Sheesh dude do u ever stay

I have to say, I actually understood (without re-reading it) the post the first time through.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2012 9:25 AM

Doublemochaman:

Basically, it comes down to how the user meant it.  Bottom line.  What is behind the word usage?

Yeah, that's kinda the crux of the whole matter, huh?

*facepalm* was inaccurate....*rolls eyes* would have been much closer....and *stands on one leg and sings Auld Lang Syne* wouldn't have even been in the ballpark.

Since we're clarifying things....this all started because Esssy commented about "those who talk rubbish".  Considering that (as I'm sure Corky will agree), he spouts more rubbish than almost anyone else on here, that caused me to snicker (as in a "derisive giggle", just to clarify....).

Hence the original comment.  An expression of action.  (albeit, I used punctuation....so I can see where he got confused).

Now, if Esssy wants to assign non-existent meaning to my words...I can't really stop him from doing that.  In much the same way that I can't really stop the "Crazy Cat Lady" from walking up and down the street ranting and raving about black helicopters spying on her....or that the Mormon church owns Pepsi in a bid for world-dominance....or any other unsubstantiated claim she wants to make.

What I can do.....is cross to the other side of the street and ignore her.  And snicker.  But that's just me.

• adramforall
    194 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 5:20 AM

The sad thing is that nowadays so much is perceived as racist.  I remember buying a "blackman" (icecream and nougat wafer) from the ice cream van, getting a "chinky " chinese takeaway at the weekend and where would we have been without the 24 hour "paki" shop (local corner shop inevitably run by a large Pakistani family)?

All these are so called derogatory or racist terms in todays parlance, but back in the days we supported all these shops.  There was no malice intended by using these             shortened/ slang words.  

Should we outlaw all shortened words.  No more Yanks, Yankies, Paddy's, Canucks, Frogs, etc etc.

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:17 AM

Poms or Limey's

Everyone's after a claim up these day's political correctness as gone nuts.

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Wed, Apr 11 2012 7:32 AM

Here's one for ya seen that film Dark Hawk Down no what's the difference, It's ok to call a helicopter by it's right name but we have to drink coffee without milk WHY ?

GC.

• PAGES
RSS