Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wind Direction

Fri, Apr 26 2013 8:17 PM (39 replies)
  • TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 11:22 AM

After the amount of time I have spent here I should know this but don't!!

The wind direction shown on the screen, is it blowing as your avatar faces forward or is it blowing as per your line of shot direct to the hole?

Just been bugging me lately.

• g433a
    28 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 11:27 AM

The wind direction is relative to straight ahead in the game window, which very often is not the same as your line of shot.

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 11:38 AM

Thanks g433a, anything to get a couple of yards nearer, got to keep on learning.

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 11:39 AM

g433a:

The wind direction is relative to straight ahead in the game window, which very often is not the same as your line of shot.

Ummm... nope, I'd have to disagree with that one.  I always factor wind in relation to the angle of the aiming arc.

*edit* not sure if you got the right message out of the other thread.... http://wgt.com/forums/p/5918/36053.aspx#36053

• g433a
    28 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:21 PM

g433a:

Ummm... nope, I'd have to disagree with that one.  I always factor wind in relation to the angle of the aiming arc.

*edit* not sure if you got the right message out of the other thread.... http://wgt.com/forums/p/5918/36053.aspx#36053

I thought I understood from the other thread, but you got me wondering now.

I've understood it that the indicated wind direction is as you are looking at the screen ie from the middle of the bottom of the window to the middle of the top of the window, regardless of where the aiming arc is.

In my mind, I'm adjusting the wind direction depending on where the aiming arc is.

So if the aiming arc is heading towards 11 o'clock and the wind is going towards 5 o'clock, then I'm straight into it.

Is that right? Does it make sense? Is it even English lol!!

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:50 PM

Yes, my bad, you are correct.  Nicely stated.  

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:57 PM

Right so if you draw a line down the dead centre of the screen from top to bottom that is the point at which you have to judge the angle from.

that is your 12 o'clock, any angle off that for the shot has to be judged against the wind coming in along that central line 

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 1:14 PM

Thank you both and cracking round the other day Avatar I wish I had your focus that's very impressive.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 12:44 PM

I'm still confused.......and really not good at reading the wind on those off center views, they're killin' me in the high wind tournaments.

And also not sure TallAcePaul and AvatarLee both use the same method.

Heres a photo of a 2nd shot at BP #1. (right click and View Image for a bigger pic) The aiming triangle is dead on the flag.

I've added:

A red vertical line down the center of the photo as TAP mentioned. To me this is the camera position for the photo of the hole.

A light blue arrow at the ball indicating the wind direction shown in the upper right corner.

A bright green arrow drawn from the ball directly at the pin.  The aiming arrow.

And the aiming arc mentioned by ALee.

Would both TallAcePaul and AvatarLee (and anyone else for that matter) please be kind enough to post their analysis of this shot, where they would aim, how far left or right and why?

Must tell you both upfront I do have the results of a dinged shot aimed exactly at the flag and shows the effect of the wind.  The result really surprised me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2010 12:51 PM

Leave it right on the pin, should be close unless you get a visit from the beast!  If not just a little right of the flag on a second look.  But first instinct is to leave the aim alone.

andyson:
    Must tell you both upfront I do have the results of a dinged shot aimed exactly at the flag and shows the effect of the wind.  The result really surprised me.
    Let me guess... you were waaaaay past based on that 140yard club you have selected to go 130 yards with a 19 tail wind! LOL j/k

RSS