Forums

Help › Forums

Wind Direction

Fri, Apr 26 2013 8:17 PM (39 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 1:29 PM

Thanks for everyone's input.  Turns out  AvatarLee, TallPaulAce, YankeeJim and Boffmen are all correct!

Here's the results of my shot.

First I snapshotted the wind on the 1st tee.  Then overlaid the wind direction on the "hole snapshot" as Boffmen called it on the right.

I dinged my second shot after aiming directly at the flag and snapshotted the replay from camera one and the overhead aerial camera.  I again overlaid the wind direction on the right hand "hole snapshot" (blue arrow) and added a bright green line from the ball to the flag stick.

As predicted by the panel of experts the ball landed about 2 yards left of the flag so proper aim would have been 1 or 2 yds right of the pin.  This little right to left wind is clearly shown on the "hole snapshot" overlaid with the aiming direction and the wind direction.  Congrats to the experts.

I've played a couple of rounds now noting the wind direction on the tee, and even taking a small piece of a post-it note and sticking it over the "hole snapshot" to refer to on my second shot.  I'm handling the wind much much better thanks to this whole discussion and exercise.

Before, I was thinking the wind indicator was relative to the line from the ball to the flag (as it is for the most part on the tee boxes).  I got some interesting results on my second shots to say the least.

For TallAcePaul, this method works great for those extremely offset camera angles.

*edit*  Oh yeah, my shot ended up 9 feet past the hole and I made the putt. :~)

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 1:36 PM

Thank you andyson great work and it will help me look at it in future. It is something that has bugged me for ages and the way you approached it was spot on.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:20 PM

Wow  very very nice work Andyson…I could never explained to myself why I really never had a “beast” shot…maybe your excellent photo analysis perhaps explains it.

But I have a ways to go yet…to be as good as some of the other responders.

Also, please create another post and give us your method of screenshots etc. and how you put them in the Forum.

Thank-you Sir.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Feb 7 2010 2:31 PM

To both TallAcePaul and BOFFMEN, you're welcome!  Thanks for the kind words glad to help.

As far as doing a screenshot and putting them in the forum it works the same way as described in the How to Post a Scorecard thread.  Just take a screenshot of the hole, replay, whatever....

• edstang
    83 Posts
    Mon, Feb 8 2010 1:19 PM

Thankyou Andyson for for Your study on how to play the wind. Your a very good sport and teacher for sharing Your information. Now We have to apply it and make our game better.

Edstang

• gzabriskie
    30 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 9:35 AM

Now I know why some of my shots were so far off.

Thanks to all... you learn something new everyday!

And, it pays to read the forums all the time.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:09 AM

I can't find the option setting to turn-on those blue and green arrows...

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 11:34 AM

PugsAce:
    I can't find the option setting to turn-on those blue and green arrows...

I found it!... it's hot-keyed with the F4 button... just make sure to hold the ALT key down when you press it.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 12:44 PM

Okay hang on a damn minute here.         

I think I have played the wind correctly from day 1 and I was with this thread from the beginning UNTIL your last post andyson! 

Now hopefully I'm just reading into to something incorrectly here but are you saying in anyway shape or form that the wind direction from the TEES somehow effect the later shots like the one in question?   

------------------------------------------------

andyson:

As predicted by the panel of experts

Hehe, welcome to the WGT game show where this week the panel of experts will weigh in on....  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 1:07 PM

jayjonbeach:
    Now hopefully I'm just reading into to something incorrectly here but are you saying in anyway shape or form that the wind direction from the TEES somehow effect the later shots like the one in question?  

Now it's my turn to misunderstand something-whyever wouldn't it? You're not thinking the wind only affects tee shots I hope.

RSS