Help › Forums

Re: Question to all Brits:

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:17 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Wed, Mar 13 2013 12:54 PM

I once played a links course in Jersey (that's the island in the English Channel, not New Jersey) i can't remember the name of the course, but it was a really windy day. There were 2 par 4's side by side both around the 430yd mark. 1 with a tailwind and the other in to a straight headwind. The 1st hole with the wind behind i drove the green. The hole coming back the other way was a different story though. Hit Driver, 3wood, 3iron and was still short. 

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Mar 13 2013 2:27 PM

MichaelStroke:

Great...all that wind and fog.  Guess I can cross London off my vacation list.

Well I would. London is a disgrace, apart from the smell of new paint all around shamlympics stadia.

Lizzie xx

• GARRYCARTER
    1,533 Posts
    Wed, Mar 13 2013 4:53 PM

Yep it is really that windy we all look like we just got off a Harley without a Crash helmet.

GC.

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Wed, Mar 13 2013 5:13 PM

MichaelStroke:

Is it really THAT danged windy over there all the time?

I get that doing Andrews with a sub-15mph wind is just not going to happen, but now I'm trying to do my weekly at RSG and it's hovering between 25 and 30mph every time I try.

It can't really be like that always, can it?

I wouldn't say this was a regular occurance but i found this report about the open championship at Sandwhich:-

The piece of information getting most of the attention on the eve of the British Open was the weather report. The forecast is for gusts up to 25 mph Thursday morning with patches of rain, before the wind tapers off in the afternoon. The wind is expected to remain moderate Friday morning, then switch directions and return to gusts upward of 25 mph by the end of the day.So it can and does reach wind speeds of 25mph.

Russell 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2013 1:27 AM

Just one line from www.theopen.com about 2008's Championship at Royal Birkdale:

"With winds never much less than 20mph, and gusting up to 50mph, the players could do nothing but battle it out."

(2nd straight Open win for Padraig Harrington and the great battle of Greg Norman (3rd))

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2013 2:17 AM

MichaelStroke:

Great...all that wind and fog.  Guess I can cross London off my vacation list.

Michael don't confuse London with St. Andys a links course way north and sea winds of course, but that's what makes it the beautiful place it is. Now you can get wind anywhere but more that latitude........... If you look at a the Globe Ireland is roughly the same latitude as Newfoundland, and so that tells some of the story before we get in to why the gulf stream keeps it warmer etc etc....................................  If you go there on vacation in in summer no need worry about fog etc either.

UK weather can be great and when it is it's fantastic countryside, but that's way off guaranteed!  No one in the UK can sensibly predict the weather, and so that's why it's ALWAYS talking point.  But trust me sitting in an English beer garden drinking locally produced REAL ALE on a pleasant summer's day is WONDERFUL :)) And if it starts to rain just go inside and carry on getting SH&T faced LOL

• MioKontic
    4,646 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2013 3:43 AM
    This post has been deleted.
  • alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Thu, Mar 14 2013 4:17 AM

+100 Jim!

• PAGES
RSS