Help › Forums

Re: Practice?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 2 2013 5:32 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • UncaGus
    2 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2013 5:32 AM

First, in regards to the driving range. I was playing Congressional yesterday and one of the hole descriptions mentioned that the ability to bend the shot from right to left off the tee (or vice versa) would be beneficial. I guess I could keep playing the same hole over and over again and using the first shot to work on that, but any lesson learned from that attempt would be lost as I progressed through the hole. A driving range would allow you to see what missing the swing target to the right or left by increments does to your shots and would reinforce the lesson as you work to get the same swing over and over again. Just like real golf, there is a bit of muscle memory and timing involved in hitting the same mark on the swing meter on a consistent basis. 

Secondly, the putting range. Of course, you wouldn't see the types of putts on a putting green that you would see on a course, but again you're missing the point. A putting green is not about replicating exact putts, but about learning to read the greens and the same thing applies here as in the driving range. You only get one shot at a putt on the course and if a putting green were available, you could practice the same putt over and over again until you understand more completely what the grid and the arrows on a green will do to your putt. The sheer number of variables that factor into a putt mean that you need to have a good grasp of what the green is showing you on each hole before you try and factor in the aim and distance of your shot. 

Finally, a putting green would allow for practice of the short game which is crucial to the game of golf. I still don't have a good grasp of what is actually going to happen when I'm shooting out of a bunker or heavy rough. How much power is going to be taken off your swing strength by the various lies, what the various types of short iron shots (punch, flop, etc) do to the swing strength.

If you enjoy learning things through hit or miss then you wouldn't want or need a driving range or putting green. I, however, like to know what my capabilities are in a given situation so I can put those capabilities to the most effective use in solving the problems that arrive in the course of a round. 

As far as the resources question comes into play, the greens are already programmed into the game and only need to be made available as stand-alones for this kind of use and a driving range need only use the background from a single hole as a backdrop and simply allow for the repeat of the tee shot. If system and or programming resources are so taxed by such a request then I wouldn't have a problem buying a range/putting green pass or paying 1 credit for a giant bucket of balls (say 75 to 100) to use on either the range or green or both. 

• PAGES
RSS