Forums

Help › Forums

Re: FALSE AVG.SCORES

Sat, Sep 21 2013 12:23 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:38 PM

It came about because there were far too many sandbaggers preying on people. Knowing that match play didn't count towards tier, a large number of them played only match play and fleeced others for credits. It's what I alluded to in my first post. I would much rather have the occasional player at a higher tier without the skills than the thousands of lowered tier players with higher-tiered skills ripping people off.

I do feel, however, that the impact of match play matches is too great. I'd like to see matches count as average +/- one stroke per tier differential with your opponent. For example, say I'm a Master and my average rounds to the nearest whole number of 68. I win a match against a Tour Master with an average of 63. The match should go into my "pool" of scores as a 67 and the Tour Master would receive a score of 64. Then those scores would be considered for averages exactly the same as stroke play scores currently are.

If I were to win a match against a Legend with a 63 avereage, the score for me would then become a 66 and his/her score would be a 65 because there is a two tier difference between us.

Your comparison with real life doesn't work as WGT does not have a proper handicapping system in place. It doesn't take into account that some courses are par 70 and some are par 72. Rounds on each are considered identically.

Also, there is no way for any increase in your average once your base is "saturated." That's probably a good thing for stopping more sandbaggers but I'd like to see scores over 2 or 3 years old drop out of average consideration. As some of us get older, losing eyesight and motor skills, WGT should take such long term diminishing of skills into account and allow our averages to reflect that.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 1:52 PM

i would have to agree that MP carries too much weight in dropping the avg of a lower tiered player .. many have said this from the get go ..

while it might have discouraged some bagging, i'm pretty sure it adds to the multi's dilemma .. so a refined system of averaging like above would make better sense ..

• tomatoman63
    641 Posts
    Fri, Sep 20 2013 11:09 AM

many thanks for the explanation,guess i see why it was set up this way but i still think its a shortcut to higher tiers.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 20 2013 12:09 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    Let me guess, this game took place on Merion with a guy from North of the US?

LOL. Good guess, I bet.  :-D

• tomatoman63
    641 Posts
    Sat, Sep 21 2013 12:23 AM

lol....correct part of the world but bethpage not merion

• PAGES
RSS