Forums

Help › Forums

FALSE AVG.SCORES

Sat, Sep 21 2013 12:23 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tomatoman63
    641 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 10:32 AM

i recently played a guy who during our match play game became very abusive and was bragging about his gameplay and his low average score of 61.00 .after the game i checked his history and stats and found since joining wgt he had played only 87 ranked rounds,yet he was at legend tier.it appears he got his 61. avg. when he tiered up from MASTER and has not played a single RANKED stroke play game since,just match play & a few alt.shot games.through this route he tiered up too legend and protected his precious avg. score by not risking it on ranked stroke play games ....surely this is not right,players who refuse to risk their avg.score should not be allowed to tier up....it makes them nothing more than fake & false legends...in my opinion at least.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 2:01 PM

So what if he's a legend tier player with or without legend skills? What harm is actually being done? Would it be better if he were misrepresenting himself as a hack or amateur with legend skills and clubs? 

I have the utmost respect for those who earned their legend status the hard way and don't claim to be something they aren't. Those players will clean up on people like you are describing. Unfortunately, though, leaving players like you describe at lower tiers will create a huge amount of damage to players who expect them to play to the tier they are listed at.

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 2:23 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Men to that  ! Very well said there.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 2:42 PM

It's a tragic trap to fall into and to cater to it. It robs one of being able to play everything freely, without a care about the average they hold. I am certain no one else really cares about it and may be pleased to discover the falseness of it in a head to head scenerio.  

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 2:46 PM

@tomatoman:

You are right concerning the average and your opponent's nonexistant manners. IMHO, abusive language here is a clear sign of inferiority and weakness. Lil boys need it to protect themselves.

He uses an unusual way to play the game, no ranked strokeplay, only matches. This may be a faster way to climb the ladder provided you have some skills, because the average drop is considerable when winning a match against a higher tier. I've seen a player who only played matches against Legends at KIA b9 - tremendous advantage from Master tees. Doing this consequently may be a good help to tier up because the span from the initial TM average to Legend is only 2.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 2:58 PM

+1 Paul ..

pretty dumb to tier up that way too imo .. these players are pretty useless from the tips anyway & their bravado is for naught .. i've played a few of those .. pretty tight lipped affair when they realize they're lost against experienced players

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 3:56 PM

I agree I think people should only be able to tier up in stroke n if they quit  game u lose automatically n los some off avg I think its only fair n if others don't its cause they are the quitters wen game is not going right

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 5:49 PM

tomatoman63:

i recently played a guy who during our match play game became very abusive and was bragging about his gameplay and his low average score of 61.00 .after the game i checked his history and stats and found since joining wgt he had played only 87 ranked rounds,yet he was at legend tier.it appears he got his 61. avg. when he tiered up from MASTER and has not played a single RANKED stroke play game since,just match play & a few alt.shot games.through this route he tiered up too legend and protected his precious avg. score by not risking it on ranked stroke play games ....surely this is not right,players who refuse to risk their avg.score should not be allowed to tier up....it makes them nothing more than fake & false legends...in my opinion at least.

Let me guess, this game took place on Merion with a guy from North of the US?

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2013 6:30 PM

Look at my average now, I was once at 61.00, I am playing the way it should be played. I don't care if my average goes back to 80, if that is what I can do then so be it. My average in real life golf is 84-87, not bad for 61 years old. That will be 90-95 before long. I am what I am. Why try to be what your not?

• tomatoman63
    641 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2013 10:40 AM

to be honest im more interested in why its even possible to tier up this way,its almost like a loop-hole in normal golf rules.in real life you work hard to lower your handicap by playing 18 hole golf,on wgt you progress through the combination of a low avg. score which allows tier advancement......which surely should be played 9 or 18 hole stroke play as in real life,MATCH PLAY games are not always over 9 holes if your good you could win 1st five holes and game over....this even robs WGT of potential income from the other 4 holes of ball wear....lol....

• PAGES
RSS