Help › Forums

Re: MY HOME TOWN

rated by 0 users
Mon, Dec 16 2013 3:46 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 3:32 PM

What should I wear to the party? Doesn't matter it's just the two of us, LOL. Great story, maybe just a little too remote for me. Now 3 would be a party. We could all take turns dancing.

• petercooper1958
    705 Posts
    Mon, Dec 16 2013 3:15 AM

Ren if you ever make it to Aus mate look us up and we will turn out the whole town to welcome you.

Great thread I hope others join in so we can learn a bit more.

Coops

• sweetmiffy
    2,110 Posts
    Mon, Dec 16 2013 3:46 AM

renniw52:

For all who remember my thread Lets Be Honest, this is just a little carry over. Let's bring back some memories. I was born in a small town in NW Pennsylvania. My town is famous for Kendall Oil (no longer exists), Case knifes and Zippo lighters. I worked at all 3 before joining the military. Being a leading industrial area in the late 1800s my town quickly became a melting pot of several nationalities, consisting mostly of Italian, Polish, Slavish, Irish and German. Talk about great food. Today I could easily cover the entire length of Main St. with a decent drive and a 7 iron. The holiday lights went up a week before Thanksgiving and stayed up through January. My fondest memories are Christmas shopping with snow flakes coming down almost the size of quarters, all walking from store to store carrying bags. Every merchant had hot cocoa, cider, coffee and wine for the adults. If an older person had too many packages it was never more than a minute and someone helped them carry them to their car. I certainly don't see this in Atlanta, Ga. Whenever I see a Christmas card with trees covered in snow, kids bundled up and welcome lights on in all houses, it reminds me of home.

Wow! Ren do you write for a living? If you don't you really should! Your prose is so evocative I feel like I'm there.

• PAGES
RSS