Help › Forums

MY HOME TOWN

rated by 0 users
Mon, Dec 16 2013 3:46 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 6:58 AM

For all who remember my thread Lets Be Honest, this is just a little carry over. Let's bring back some memories. I was born in a small town in NW Pennsylvania. My town is famous for Kendall Oil (no longer exists), Case knifes and Zippo lighters. I worked at all 3 before joining the military. Being a leading industrial area in the late 1800s my town quickly became a melting pot of several nationalities, consisting mostly of Italian, Polish, Slavish, Irish and German. Talk about great food. Today I could easily cover the entire length of Main St. with a decent drive and a 7 iron. The holiday lights went up a week before Thanksgiving and stayed up through January. My fondest memories are Christmas shopping with snow flakes coming down almost the size of quarters, all walking from store to store carrying bags. Every merchant had hot cocoa, cider, coffee and wine for the adults. If an older person had too many packages it was never more than a minute and someone helped them carry them to their car. I certainly don't see this in Atlanta, Ga. Whenever I see a Christmas card with trees covered in snow, kids bundled up and welcome lights on in all houses, it reminds me of home.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 7:48 AM

Here's some pics I took of (or from) my town, Greenock, Scotland-

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:01 AM

Dang Paul, I would love to play a round of golf with you there, what a beautiful place.

• Gooba823
    330 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 8:35 AM

renniw52:

Dang Paul, I would love to play a round of golf with you there, what a beautiful place.

+1

• craigswan
    31,568 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:00 AM

Born  in fife Scotland . Never lived more than a few miles away from my birthplace .You can keep your big cities . Give me fresh air and countryside .

• craigswan
    31,568 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:03 AM
  • craigswan
    31,568 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:07 AM
  • craigswan
    31,568 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:09 AM
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 10:09 AM

+1 Craig. I miss the mountain laurel, fresh air and no traffic jams. If someone will send me a plane ticket and I get it through my wifes head, I will join you all and smell the roses the rest of my life. I will even plant them and take care of them.

• petercooper1958
    705 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2013 12:51 PM

I would like to tell you about the small town I live in. When I say small, I mean tiny. There are only two houses in the town and they are almost one kilometer apart. Between the two houses is highland tropical rainforest (but I don't want to start on that just yet, back to the town). The nearest real town is 2 hours drive away (yet only sixteen kilometers) when the road is open (it is closed for about four months of the year). That town consists of one hotel and five houses. The roadhouse burned to the ground earlier this year. It is almost another hour past there to get to a town with a 'shop'.

Isolated is perhaps one way to describe where I live. There is a strong sense of pioneering spirit in the neighborhood.

There is also a very strong sense of community in our town. In fact the whole town (two people) likes to get together at least once a week to consume perhaps way too much alcohol and of course run through the civic duties we are bound to.

Would I live in a real town? Nah I guess not.

Sorry but I don't have a photo to share. I would love to have one so stand by while I see what can be done.

• PAGES
RSS