Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Bethpage #5 and #9 -- Legend

Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:22 AM (27 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:19 AM

dyashpal:

Nike VForged Irons I DO NOT see the lvl 97+ in the Pro shop have they been discontinued??

dyashpal

They are still there. Browser issue, maybe? Try another one to see.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:26 AM

dyashpal:

Nike VForged Irons I DO NOT see the lvl 97+ in the Pro shop have they been discontinued??

dyashpal

If you aren't at the level required for the particular item in the pro-shop, they usually are the last item.  For instance, I am not L100 yet, so for me to see the L100 driver I have to look on the very last page of drivers to see it.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:30 AM

I don't even try to birdie 5.  As always, I blame my ball.

Damn my lack of disposable income.

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:34 AM

#5 is a hole that you have to land short because the ball is going to roll up several yards.   In other words, you can't trust the wgt yardage/math here.  Whatever formula you use, add full b/s and realize that even then the ball will roll out many yards. 

#9 should one day become a hole that you birdie 9 out of 10 times.  edit:  I get the sense that the wind here doesn't really move the ball like you'd think it should.  The yardage here is very accurate but perhaps it's a yard "shorter" than  wgt says it is so again this is a full b/s shot.  The ball will stop very quickly on this green so don't play for much roll out. 

• Nikoshi365
    1,521 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 11:55 AM

Bethpage 9 I tend to get really mad at myself if I dont birdie it, sometimes I have had luck and even eagled it, three times I think

as for five, depends on the wind and the hole position, u get several variations in tournaments and normal stroke play

1 position is at the back left of the green, quite possible for a birdie, far right after the edge of the bunker, I tend to play and aim with full bs and try to hit just the edge of the rough. It lands down hard, loses speed and rolls nicely towards the hole. Dont make it all the time of course, but usually birdie 50%/50%

Just a suggestion

Oshi

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:19 PM

IRISHPUNK:

Whatever formula you use, add full b/s

This is vital if you want to have a chance of making birdie.  Full b/s adds extra height to the ball and helps clear the front bunkers and rough.

Funny to see my old posts in this thread, I've been using the L97 Nikes for a while now and love them.  They've made a big difference to a few holes, BPB #5 being one that really springs to mind.

I was really pleased with myself when I one day realised I could play left of the corner bunker on #9 and make the 2nd shot much easier.  At least I was until I found out almost everyone in our CC had been doing it for months.

The strange thing is, I used to hit the trees fairly regularly when I first started playing that shot.  Now I almost never do.  Famous last words there no doubt.

• WaLk0fLiFe
    285 Posts
    Thu, Mar 27 2014 11:37 PM

#5 @ bpb is a tough one. seems the approach plays extremely long to me but varies every round regrdless of wind. very tough hole for me

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:22 AM
RSS