Forums

Help › Forums

Bethpage #5 and #9 -- Legend

Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:22 AM (27 replies)
  • Janisrip
    23 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2014 9:41 AM

How does a Legend birdie 5 and 9 at BPB? Even hitting the driver 290 yards I still have a long iron (I use G20).  The best I can manage is barely holding the green and having a 20+ ft putt for a birdie. Up and down is easy enough, but not the birdies.

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2014 5:23 PM

Janisrip:

How does a Legend birdie 5 and 9 at BPB? Even hitting the driver 290 yards I still have a long iron (I use G20).  The best I can manage is barely holding the green and having a 20+ ft putt for a birdie. Up and down is easy enough, but not the birdies.

5 requires massive spin power, that means top clubs and top ball
    but 9 shouldn't be so hard, just make sure you drive it way right
    and on approach go with full bs and add a bit more to it,
    and should land withing 2-4 yrds if you get the math right.

• derekortt
    667 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2014 5:48 PM

Actually, a drive right over the bunker on BPB 9 sets up a very EASY bird. The SLDR easily carries the bunker unless there is a strong wind into the face.  You have either an 8 or a 9 iron after a good tee shot, which that green holds very easily. You actually have to worry about getting the ball to the hole

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2014 5:55 PM

A better ball is a must , to hold the greens . The 33+ cally is a good ball to try . You may also want to upgrade from the G20 irons . You will want more loft , and spin , to stick the greens . Hope this helps , and good luck . :-)

• nicka420
    873 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2014 11:05 PM

look at my set up thats how u birdie every hole at bpb font 9

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 12:28 AM

The best answer is the G20s are good but have their limitations on elevated greens when you are using a long iron. I struggled to hold the green using any ball with the G20s (or trying to land the ball on the fringe I would invariably land in the trap short). The answer is the R11 irons - in my opinion they are the biggest game changer in the game.

That said I still get the yardages wrong to #9 -  but that is me. I really should take notes as the old grey matter lets me down lol.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 3:29 AM

2 options for 9th

2nd one, dots show roll out

<              

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 5:17 AM

Janisrip:

Any long iron approach to that green is going to roll, even the better club/ball combos, they just don't roll as much. Play to the front of that green with fbs and let your shot roll up to the pin. Usually, 1 more club than what the caddie suggests will do it, just don't take a full swing.

Set up a practice round there and use the mulligan feature to figure out how much to back off. :-)

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 7:45 AM

PaulTon:
    2 options for 9th

So Paul?  You prefer playing from the ladies red tees?  LOL

It looks like this from the Champ tees:

Both shots will have roll out indicated by yellow dots

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 8:29 AM

andyson:
    So Paul?  You prefer playing from the ladies red tees?  LOL

OOPS!! LOL.I set up the hole from community tab, I strongly suspect you knew that!

I took the screenshot before I played the hole. I chose* the shot out to the right and watched my ball sail over the camera and trees into oblivion.

If you aim yours a little more right it avoids being scooped into the bowl beside the bunker and the ball swings round like it's on the top edge of a velodrome gaining quit a few yards in the process.

* I've  had to edit this post. I've just remembered, I  chose the other shot over the bunker and got metered, lol.

P.S. I am sooooo bad at Angry Miffy's!

RSS