Forums

Help › Forums

Bethpage #5 and #9 -- Legend

Fri, Mar 28 2014 12:22 AM (27 replies)
  • Janisrip
    23 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 4:00 PM

Thanks for all the advice. The WGT community is a good support group. 

• Janisrip
    23 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 4:04 PM

Thanks.  I am only level 88. Should I wait for the R11 (lvl 90) or go for tyne VR forged?

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 6:42 PM

R11's are great clubs. Little more distance and more spin on the long irons comes in handy. Meter speed compared to your G20's (same as the Nike VRs) will take some getting used to. Spin vs. slower meter.... the choice is yours.

Cheers

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Jan 7 2014 8:05 PM

PaulTon:
    If you aim yours a little more right it avoids being scooped into the bowl beside the bunker and the ball swings round like it's on the top edge of a velodrome gaining quit a few yards in the process.

Hit that bowl and ball will just roll next to the end of bunker.

Also, be careful in headwinds if you shoot over the bunker and the type of ball your using. That bunker is not very nice to hit out of.

This is off the Blacks.

-Roger

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 8 2014 5:18 AM

Janisrip:

Thanks.  I am only level 88. Should I wait for the R11 (lvl 90) or go for tyne VR forged?

IMO, the Nikes will be easier for you to master. They have the same precision and forgiveness as the R11's, 1/2 dot less spin AND a slower meter (same as what you have now.) You gain a little more spin over those G20's, the 3i goes 5 yards further plus you can have them now.  :-)

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Wed, Jan 8 2014 7:22 AM

YankeeJim:

IMO, the Nikes will be easier for you to master.

I can't honestly say I'm a fan of the Nike irons but this is only based on 2 rounds during the free rental period.  However, I agree fully with what YJ says.  My difficulties with the Nikes was more because I hadn't yet found out how they play compared to the R11 irons than them being bad clubs in any way.  I'm sure given several rounds to adjust I could hit them more consistently then I currently do the R11.

I just read your post properly and realised you're of course talking about the L85 ones, not the L97 ones.  I'd say Jim's advice is still good though, the L85 ones will see you through to L97 when you can get hold of the top dogs. 

Well, by then there might be a new and even better set in town but that's for another day.  Or year.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:46 AM

MainzMan:

YankeeJim:

IMO, the Nikes will be easier for you to master.

I can't honestly say I'm a fan of the Nike irons but this is only based on 2 rounds during the free rental period.  However, I agree fully with what YJ says.  My difficulties with the Nikes was more because I hadn't yet found out how they play compared to the R11 irons than them being bad clubs in any way.  I'm sure given several rounds to adjust I could hit them more consistently then I currently do the R11.

{snip}

Long - time R-11 guy here. I rented the lev 85 (oopsy)for 2 days free, and decided they would benefit my game. I bought the lev 97 because ydgs = R-11. 

I really like them - more solidly consistent than R-11, and the classic wind & elevation corrections work well ... unlike the shorter R-11 irons (PW - 8I) which can be a bit squirrelly for actual results, lol.

Good time for me, as I've finally hit my 500 ranked Legend games and can see my average moving down at last.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Jan 8 2014 9:51 AM

I use the L85 Vforged clubs with the L39 Hex Chrome's,  work pretty decently. The Lethal's seem to hold the line pretty good as well, not a long ball, but seem stable and accurate. 

#5 I aim for left side fairway. FBS for the 190 and just a bit off ball will run up within a few feet. 3/4 BS if it's the

#9 I'm on the right side fairway, usually 175, 3/4 BS, it's within a couple of feet for birdie. If it's the 190 I'll choke up with FBS, seems to work out.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Wed, Jan 8 2014 10:18 AM

gr8flbob:

I really like them - more solidly consistent than R-11, and the classic wind & elevation corrections work well ... unlike the shorter R-11 irons (PW - 8I) which can be a bit squirrelly for actual results, lol.

I'm still pretty sure as soon as I save up some credits I'll be all over those things.  I'm very reluctant to buy credits though as the gain over the R11 irons does seem pretty small.  However, as I've frequently mentioned here, I am a gear freak so if it takes me more than another week to raise the funds (fat chance of that!) I'll probably spring for them with real life money.

gr8flbob:

as I've finally hit my 500 ranked Legend games and can see my average moving down at last.

Congrats, I'm longing to finally hit 500 ranked rounds.  My average has been on it's way to Mars lately.

• dyashpal
    286 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 1:28 AM

Nike VForged Irons I DO NOT see the lvl 97+ in the Pro shop have they been discontinued??

dyashpal

RSS