Re: New Guy Here

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:17 AM (29 replies)
  • Dubfore
    4,350 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 2:21 PM

JayFaceKilla:

TTF - Whats the ding?

The ding, in my opinion is the one thing here you need to master above all, if you don't, the best clubs and balls are no good to you.

At one time, there was a more noticeable difference in the meter speed depending on the cost of your ball, but I don't think that difference is there so much now, though I haven't and won't buy 500+ credits sleeves to find out!

I got to Legend tier using 10c balls, but now also use better ones for club credit tourneys.  I'd recommend the G13-S ball,   it's a good price, slowish on the meter, you get many hits and it's got good stop on greens.

All I'm gonna say about cheats is that their are many on WGT, full stop! 

Don't go crazy spending money,  learn the shots and figure out most of what won't spoil your enjoyment. Good luck and lots of fun with your addiction.

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 2:56 PM

TTF can you give me a better understanding of this? I tried it, but seem to not get the results you are talking about....Maybe pics or better explanation?

Thanks!

• TreeTopFlyer57
    79 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 9:51 PM

Using the Original left to right blue meter, don`t click the ding line. Click the 1st line to the left of the ding line where the blue starts. Also utilize full backspin by pulling the light on the golf ball icon to the bottom of the ball. The full back spin will shorten the shot a couple of yards so if your Cleveland 56 will flop 38 yds , now it`ll go ABOUT 36. Varies with the wind etc...   Hope this is helpful. You`ll also need to buy balls that have a better spin factor than those little white rocks the wgt supplies for free. Might I suggest the Callaway L33.

Good Luck Jay

TTF

• Dubfore
    4,350 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 1:00 AM

About learning the shots, one of the most useful shots (under used and underrated)  you should learn is the flop shot, a round saver, especially for a scrambler which you will be for a while. 

Hit at line left of ding for all flop shots, they'll take a while to learn (never mastered) and be consistent, I wouldn't play a flop for any over 35 yards (lowest two wedges), but they need a lot of thinking and adjustment as you use/change clubs and balls. Lies, winds, green speeds and breaks all have to be factored in.  

The flop is my favourite shot -never mastered- but utilised well for a scrambler like me. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I was given these putting tips for all green speeds, simple maths with a calculater by your pc and using your putter pal.  They work for me, let us know in the forum how it goes for you. 

The rough mental math is, 

Distance  X  speed   - add or minus 1ft for each inch or elevation then add 1 or 2 ft.    

Tweak for breaks, wind and experience.                           

speed          stimp 

Slow =                .03

Standard =                1.1

Fast =               .85

Very Fast =               .80               10

Tournament =                .75               12

Champion =                   .71                13

That's a big range to use just one variable number in the calculations.  If the stimp meter (top right in game screen when putting) is 11 it'll be near Very Fast speed and at 12.9 it's pretty much Champ speed.

Black grid = Flat  ~  Blue = Uphill  ~  Red = Downhill

Yellow or brighter = PRAY!  :-)

Below is a rough estimate for a 30 foot putt on a black grid.

Champ Speed (13 stimp) = 72% or 30% less power.

Tournament (12 stimp) = 74% or 25% less power

Fast (9 stimp) = 97% or 3% less power

Slow (7.4 stimp) = 113% or extra 15% power.

Other putting tips here: search.aspx?q=putting help tips

More putting: 252172.aspx

Pitching:  search.aspx?q=wgt pitching tips help

Chipping: search.aspx?q=wgt chipping tips help

Bunkers:  search.aspx?q=bunker tips help

Flops:  search.aspx?q=wgt flop shots tips help

Uneven lies:  search.aspx?q=help tips uneven lies

I'll keep updating this post as I get new info/tips.  Add to these if you can.

• Dubfore
    4,350 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 1:46 AM

FLOP SHOTS

Below, the roll on the legend tournament green is from left to right (from players viewpoint). In the 1st still image notice where I place the marker. It's roughly where I think the line the ball will take after it lands. The shot is 31 yards, from 20-25% rough with slight l-r wind. 

Before I shoot, I have to decide how much power to use. 

First I choose a flop shot,  then I set the power to 31 yards (shot distance), and for 20-25% rough, I add roughly 1/10 extra power, so my power is about 34 yrds.  In flop shots, the ball always flies right.  Notice also where the white X is on the meter, all flop shots should be hit on the line left of the ding.

For shots from 20-25% rough add about 10% extra power, 30-40% , add about 25%, from 40-50% about 33%.  If the roll/slope on the green is downhill, I usually leave the flag in as an aid to stopping the ball. Uphill or flat I always remove the flag.  Adjust those percentages for different fairway lies and greens speeds.  

Remember the type of ball used makes a difference, so you may have to adjust for the ball. Mine in the video was a 10c WGT XD.   Also, newer players won't have the longer wedges to play  flop shots from over 24 yards, but the main principals above still apply, hitting left of ding etc.  Whatever clubs or balls you use, practice will soon save you many shots.  You may not think it at these short distances, but wind does affect the ball, and it seems tail winds more so. It's trial and error with the winds.

The flop is my favourite shot and has been a round saver many times.

I hope this helps you with your flop shots. See what happens in the video below.

Replay VIDEO LINK: 

replay.aspx?ID=43bad45f 0711 4792 a2ca a2b6005a4d3d

A similar shot from the fairway with a Cleveland wedge and Nike ball:

replay.aspx?ID=a1f14cf3 0c9b 4d9d 9203 a2b900181add

• Dubfore
    4,350 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 2:12 AM

USING TOP SPIN  

When driving or using a 3 wood, place the connect marker between top and center of the ball and not at the very top, you will lose yards if you hit there. 

Hit full back spin when driving with a  tail wind, this seems to give more distance.

UNEVEN LIES

Some tips at this link  on how to play uneven lies.  148036.aspx

BUNKER

Check out this Eagle punch from the sand on Merion 2! 

"it was 30/40 lie in that bunker."

"Oh yeah punch shots work great out of the sand. At least with the cleveland wedges. Full b/s. I punched my 64º (50 yrds) at about 80% power."

***************

Equipment Tips:

How the better clubs perform and comparing one make/club to another is over analysed on WGT, you can play very well with average priced clubs and crap with expensive ones, so it's not all about the price.

Considering upgrades? Here's some tips on upgrades for the higher tiers and levels.

My starting point is always the meter. No matter how good your clubs, if you can't get some sort of consistency on the dings, all legend clubs are more or less equal!

Driver + 3 Wood:   Within your budget, start with a driver and 3 Wood that has the slower meter.  Like most shots, it's all about hitting the ding.

Wedges:   Consider playing with four wedges (some are expensive) and forget about using a hybrid. Wedges starting at 50 or 60 yarders and where you can, roughly evenly space the yardage between each, with the longest wedge (pw) also spaced evenly if possible to your shortest iron, the 9.  That way you cover a lot of shot and yardage options that get thrown at you up to130 yards and around the green.  

Irons:   All your clubs should be high trajectory hitters, great if you can afford those with the longest yardage but again, always keep in mind the meter speed.  

Putter:   Putting is really all about your touch on the green, but the more expensive putters have varying increments, 15-30- etc, depending on the make. 

Balls:   I'll say two things about balls. I think the better makes, Nike, Calloways etc are over priced and overrated.  I've even seen some go over trees and over ditches to out of bounds.  Not mine because I don't buy them.  :-) 

I got to legend using WGT 10c balls and beating some legends (who played with Calloways etc) along the way.  I use the 10c WGT ES ball for CTTH pitching and recommend those especially for the CTTH water holes.  A starter ball might be ok for you in the putting CTTH.  I don't use expensive sleeves for the simple reason that I think they're over priced.  I also like the WGT G12-D or S for their slower meters, they cost only 64c, and the G13 S  or D  99cents.

• Dubfore
    4,350 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2015 2:15 AM
  • JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:03 AM

Good info TTF much appreciated. I have been using the flop, not great so far, but have hit a few beautiful shots. Next thing on the agenda is understanding how to pitch and chip as I always seem to under hit those two shot types.

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:12 AM

Hey Doc. I ended up buying the 52 and 60 CG16's. Still learning how to maneuver them, but overall really like them. The reviews swayed me towards these over the more expensive 588's. I'm thinking of adding the 64. Thoughts?

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:17 AM

Hey Steve, thanks for the post. I actually ended up getting the 10 credit WGT balls which certainly added some spin and roll, grabbed two CG16 wedges (52, 60), bought the Spider putter, and recently bought the Speed Blades iron set. I am thinking about adding the 64 degree wedge and possibly a driver. Thoughts on adding the wedge and what driver do you recommend?

RSS