Help › Forums

New Guy Here

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:17 AM (29 replies)
  • JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 4:15 PM

Hey all, 

I just found this game last week and I am hooked! I play golf once or twice a week regularly and have just started taking it serious in the last couple years and now I am a 10 HDCP. 

I really love the following you have and see this as the Call of Duty of golf games with so many players worldwide.

I have a few questions for those kind enough to offer advice: First, what should my first Pro Shop purchase be? I would like to get good and this game and from reading a lot of peoples opinions, gripes, and testimonials it looks as though I will need to fork out some money over time. I've got no issues with that, I am in my mid 30's with a good career.

Any tips, advice or help is greatly appreciated. Oh, almost forgot, whats the best way to use the punch shots and best way to get out of the thick stuff?

Thanks and I look forward to playing you. Hit em' straight!

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 4:59 PM

JayFaceKilla:
    I just found this game last week and I am hooked!

J-FACE !!! Run for your life!!! While you still have time!

• Beryman
    9,098 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 5:05 PM

welcome

it has been awhile since i came up through the ranks and i really dont remember the clubs and most of what i used are prob obsolete anyway

as for getting out of the thick stuff a punch with the spin dot in the middle of the ball is best for me and aim for the closest fairway with a lot of extra club...

learn the flop for those 35 yards and in shots...aim a few yrds left and you will learn to stick it within 2 feet or so

there are some  traps on St A and RSG that the only way out is backwards

good luck

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2015 6:07 PM

You're up to L26 I see, so you have some options. My first club purchase was the WGT Pro tier driver to get an extra 20 yards off the tee. The L30 R11 3-wood is a great club for the price. At L48, I highly recommend the R1 driver. At L35 the Ghost Spider is an excellent value for a putter and a nice upgrade.

At L27-31, I like the Cleveland 56, 60, and 64 wedges. Getting rid of the hybrid and putting 3 wedges in your bag is a great weapon for scoring. I went with the L15 irons, but I hear the L32 R11s are pretty nice. I was too impatient to wait for them. At L59, I highly recommend the Ping G25s...the high trajectory makes a huge difference.

Once you get some clubs upgraded, the L33 Callaway or L11 Srixon are good balls for the price. I know some Tour Legends who still use the L33 Cally. There are also some decent values in some of the WGT balls...they're not great balls but are super cheap.

All of that stuff will hold you over very well until L70+ and is plenty to get to Legend... there are a number of potential club upgrades between L70 and L90, especially if you move up to Legend and need the extra distance. So far I see you've only played one ranked round. If you want to progress through the tiers, you'll need to play a lot of ranked rounds. That's obviously an if and there are posts that will tell you the exact number and average you need to move up. Looking at your history, I'm not sure how you moved from Hack to Amateur :)

In the end, it all comes down to how much you want to spend. From a budget standpoint, the longer you can hold off the better.

This game isn't without its problems like any other, but it's an enjoyable game with a good community. It's especially nice to take up "golf" again when I can't really play anymore in real life.

Cheers

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 12:31 AM

The most important purchase in the Pro Shop in my opinion is Putter.  The 2nd most important is Driver.  3rd most important is wedges.  The Taylormade Spider Level 19+ putter is your first purchase in my opinion.  (The higher the "balance, precision, and forgiveness stats" on the putter, the lower your level of frustration)

bblackh1

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 4:06 AM

Welcome.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here an' say that for $2.00 the SnakeEye wedges are a game changer at your level. I still play the 685BX on occasion, they'll really help your short game over the starter wedges.

Doc :)

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:02 AM

Haha! Thanks for the warm welcome. My friends called me that in college and some still do!

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up Beryman. I will try it out.

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:10 AM

Greatly appreciate this comprehensive response to my intro. First, you mention how you arent sure how i've moved up from Hack to Amateur, neither am I. Can you elaborate?

So currently, I have about 800 points and I was thinking of getting a driver to add some distance off the tee. Second, you recommended me holding off. Why?

Again, Thank you!

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:12 AM

Exactly what I was looking for, differentiation and opinion. I thank you and will check it out. Narrowing down choices as we speak!

RSS