Forums

Help › Forums

New Guy Here

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 25 2015 9:17 AM (29 replies)
  • JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:30 AM

Which ones Doc? Do you think it would be wise to grab a 56 and 60 SE BX or hold off until I can afford a Cleveland wedge set or Vokey? Do they have Vokey on here? LOL

I'm a ways away from L35 like SweetiePie mentioned, so getting there with good play is my goal. Looks like I might break down and upgrade to a sufficient driver, putter and wedges instead of just buying one or two items.

• DAVEGZ
    1,265 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 11:35 AM

Jay as Beryman said use the punch with the dot in the middle of the ball if your near to the fairway but if your a way from from the fairway use the punch shot with the dot at the bottom of the ball to give you a bit of lift to enable you to get on the F/way, you can also use the punch as an approach shot as well the farest out from the green ive used it is 130yds full back spin and landed the ball 1ft from the hole but believe me J it takes practice to do a perfect shot, hope that helps you J- Man.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 12:41 PM

JayFaceKilla:
    Which ones Doc?

Jay, you mentioned you have about $8 in credits. the 685BX 56 & 60 will set you back $2. IMO these are one of the best deals in the pro shop. There are much better wedges, but not at that price. Good luck with your new addiction.

Doc :)

• steve1248
    849 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 3:54 PM

1st get some balls......that take some spin & give some extra distance

2nd  get some wedges   3rd  is putter   4th  if you got the $$'s ---  a club set (so all the meter speeds are the same

Steve

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 4:34 PM

Clubs might last a career, balls last 2 or 3 days .....

38,39 atv wedges , 59 irons,  woods? 48 R1, 3 wood possibly earlier to hit beyond standard driver.

Knock ya socks off, games great at times, othertimes shite ....

learn the game with low level WGT balls and the later on in your journey you'll appreciate em

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 5:05 PM

JayFaceKilla:

Greatly appreciate this comprehensive response to my intro. First, you mention how you arent sure how i've moved up from Hack to Amateur, neither am I. Can you elaborate?

So currently, I have about 800 points and I was thinking of getting a driver to add some distance off the tee. Second, you recommended me holding off. Why?

Again, Thank you!

I'm assuming this was to me. If you don't quote the comment, it won't show who you replied to. To move from Hack to Amateur, it takes 5 or 10 rounds (I don't remember) with an average under 100 or something. It's essentially very, very easy, but shouldn't happen until 5 rounds. There are exceptions as if you win credits in a tournament, they can move you up. Also beating higher tiers in Match Play can do the same. Maybe it's the 50 credits you won...not sure from what. No big deal as the game is still very easy at Amateur.

As to buying clubs, the longer you wait, the less credits you'll "waste". Go ahead and buy now if you'd like, but the later upgrades will have a bigger impact. I bought the 250 credit Pro tier driver because it was very cheap. The meter was pretty fast, but the extra 20 yards made a big difference. I don't really see an affordable driver at that level that will make much of an impact. The R1 at L48 is a great driver that took me to L79. Good forgiveness and precision and hits a whopping 275 yards. Personally, I'd hold off on the driver until then (as you can't purchase the Pro tier one yet) if I were you.

At your level, I'd start to buy the 3 Cleveland wedges, the R11 3-wood at L30, the R11 irons at L32, the Ghost Spider putter at 35, and the R1 driver at L48. That's not cheap, but most of that gear will hold you to L70 or higher except for the irons where at L59 I highly recommend the G25s. If I had to place a priority on the gear, I'd probably say wedges (get 3 and dump the hybrid), irons, 3-wood (you can use it as an improvement on the starter driver and it's cheap), and then putter. Someone recommended the L19 putter, but I think the L35 is enough of a step up from that. Given that you're already L28, it's not far away at all.

This is all obviously one player's opinion...you know how opinions are. Good luck, have fun, hit them straight :)

• TreeTopFlyer57
    79 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 10:16 PM

learn the flop for those 35 yards and in shots...aim a few yrds left and you will learn to stick it within 2 feet or so

when you use the flop shot , DON`T hit the ding. Hit the line to the LEFT

of the ding line where the meter starts, You`ll find it goes right where you

set the marker. Straight as an arrow, try it.

And as for what your 1st purchase should be in the pro shop, see if they

have a really durable protective holder for your credit card , your gonna need it...

Cheers

TTF

• JayFaceKilla
    33 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2015 12:33 PM

TTF - Whats the ding?

• TreeTopFlyer57
    79 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2015 10:58 PM

Its the line in the middle of the swing meter that makes that DING sound when

you hit it.  You don`t want to use that line however when you use the flop shot.

You want to hit the line TO THE LEFT of the ding line where the meter starts and

the shot always goes straight like a chip or pitch.   I`ve managed to get all the way

to Legend without ever having once chipped OR pitched. Just always preferred

the flop as when you miss with the shot it usually gets left closer to the hole than

a chip or pitch. I bring the light on the golf ball to the bottom of the ball for full back

spin. 

Cheers

TTF

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Thu, Jun 18 2015 2:58 AM

See that big white vertical line in the light blue section of your swing meter with a lighting bolt above it? That's the " ding ". In other words where you want your swing to stop. It will make a ding sound when you hit it. If you want to slow your swing down click on that lighting bolt. But it costs 30 credits each time you use it.

RSS