Forums

Help › Forums

New

Sat, May 19 2012 8:20 PM (31 replies)
  • scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 3:30 AM

when i joined a few months ago i rented putters tried a few, found the spyder and the ghost best for learning. theres a great choice.

regards scotty.

• singingjesus
    152 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 5:30 AM

buddysal:
    As far as purchasing new/better clubs whats some to look in to?

When you reach level 39, ditch the hybrid and buy the Z Satin 64 wedge. You will use that one more the the rest except for your putter and driver. It's a 'lifetime' club - you'll never part with it!

sj

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 5:32 AM

buddysal:
    One more question. When upgrading clubs is it wise to also upgrade the putter? Is there that much of a difference? I know "drive for show putt for dough" and I pretty much suck at putting in real life also LOL. 

So much depends on your game that this becomes a find what works for you thing. If you are a golfer IRL you know the basic game. If you are a good RL golfer you know what it takes to score-good short game, good GIR and solid drives. 

Apply that thinking to how you approach this game. Which clubs affect your score the most? Wedges and putters get you up and down while irons and drivers get those clubs in your hands. Do the math.  ;-)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 5:41 AM

lee22sharon:
    If your attached to some other person sharing your life, be prepared!  For what you say?  You'll find out.  Free.

Now that's a nickels worth of free advice. : )

• marks84
    184 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 6:45 PM

Welcome to  hell ... errr    WGT   Now run away as fast as you can.. LOL.   .

Seriously though, welcome to the club.  To try and answer one of the wuestions you asked... I would not even THINK about buying GOOD clubs until I got into the mid-30s level, which is when clubs that will last you for a while start to become available.

As for the rest of it... lots and lots and lots of practice.

Best of luck to ya.

• buddysal
    7 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 7:46 PM

haha! thanks everyone, I've toyed around with some stuff, picked up the R11 driver and R11 3 wood with the Burner 2.0 Irons. Tossed in cleveland 56 and 64 wedges and kept the tour 60 I had. I've been quite the busy bee since I posted on here, finally shot my first -1 on 9 holes and then turned around and shot even on 18 for the first time so I'm pretty happy with what ive done thus far, I think I'm just going to chill out and play what I have available now and try to get used to it. Still after my sub par finish on 18 holes LOL I imagine it'll come with time.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2012 5:33 AM

buddysal:
    , I think I'm just going to chill out and play what I have available now and try to get used to it.

^^^^

This is what will get you your best score. Set up your bag and stick with it. The more you play the same way, the easier it gets but you have to know what you're swinging. Swapping out clubs causes new learning curves both in course management and club performance. That's good in the long run but will frustrate you if you give up on a setup too early. GL

• buddysal
    7 Posts
    Sat, May 12 2012 2:28 AM

Definitely helping to stick with what i have instead of jumping around everywhere, Bumped up to the pro tour tier with a 71.9 avg.. ahh finally finished a -2 on 9 holes which is exciting for me as I've been stuck on -1 for a awhile. Started playing 9 holes as it racks up the ranked rounds played faster, Think im at 51 or 52 rounds in 7 days, addiction on the verge of obsession.

• ladzrls
    286 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 5:29 PM

Hey there, gr8 thread as you portray how i felt about this game when i first found it.

The way i went is i lvl up quickly doing ranked rounds and bought the lvl 35 ghost putter as my first club and it improved my score tremendouslyI made tour pro quickly and once i reached lvl 59 i bought the G20 club set, purchased some superb wedges and got rid of those pesky starter clubs. 

Now im close to tour master because of those clubs i bought and i enjoy them very much. I guess my advice would be is to look at clubs that are gonna take you all the way to tour master as lower lvl clubs might not do that and you dont wanna always upgrade your clubs just because you can. Waiting to reach lvl 59 b4 purchasing a club set stood me in good stead as i had to really learn how to put and get out of trouble which hopefully stands me in good form if i ever reach legend.

Any how was good reading your post and as i have only been plyn a couple of months i still get that feeling about this game.

Gl and enoy

ladzrls

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 8:01 AM

buddysal:

Definitely helping to stick with what i have instead of jumping around everywhere, Bumped up to the pro tour tier with a 71.9 avg.. ahh finally finished a -2 on 9 holes which is exciting for me as I've been stuck on -1 for a awhile. Started playing 9 holes as it racks up the ranked rounds played faster, Think im at 51 or 52 rounds in 7 days, addiction on the verge of obsession.

Sorry, buddy, I think addiction trumps obsession. ;-) But either way, seems like you're halfway down the WGT rabbit hole and there's plenty of fescue in Wonderland so hit 'em straight.

RSS