Forums

Help › Forums

BASEBALL: The Strasburg question

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 3 2012 2:20 PM (43 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 5:43 PM

Jim, imagine how good this staff would have been if they could have gotten Wang back anywhere near his Yankee days?

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 5:49 PM

One last point:

Davey Johnson is one of the best skippers that ever put on a manager's uniform.  I was still an Orioles fan when he was their manager, led them to their last successful seasons and was fired/quit just after receiving the Manager of the Year award.  I loved him as the NY Mets manager, and he led the Reds to some of their most successful recent seasons.  Just a fantastic manager and the definition of a player's manager.  The Nats love playing for him, and it shows.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 10:54 PM

So anti-climactic.  The Giants Vogelsong entered the game with the second best ERA in the NL.  After a 14-2 Nats win, that will change.  Gio runs his record to 15-6 with 6 2/3 of 2 ER baseball, and Roger Bernadina makes yet another highlight reel D play.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 5:58 AM

JaLaBar:
     And they have done it missing their clean-up hitter for the first two months of the season, their #2 hitter for 3 months, all-star shortstop for a month and counting, starting catcher for the last 4+ months of the season, closer of 43 games last year for the first 3 months, and effectively missing their top position player for the first three months as a lingering shoulder issue rendered him ineffective.

Let's see-Rivera goes down for the season, Joba goes down, Robertson goes down-that takes care of the 7-8-9 inning pitching lock down. Then Teixeira has an abysmal start, A-Rod under performs, Martin can't hit his way out of a paper bag and the Yankees are clueless about scoring with RISP. You would think that would be a recipe for a disappointing season. For most teams it would be but the Yankees turned it into a 10 game division lead (where all 5 teams were above .500 in the division) and took control.

Nobody feels sorry for injuries, especially to any Yankee. 162 games is a grind. Who will be the least tired and most healthy in October?

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 9:32 AM

Wrong Jim!  People do feel sorry for injuries to other teams.  Just not the Yankees :)

For the record, I laughed until I passed out about A-Rod's injuries, but I was deeply sorry for Mo.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 9:54 AM

JaLaBar:
    For the record, I laughed until I passed out about A-Rod's injuries,

What's so funny about getting your pinkie finger broken by an 85 mph pitch? Don't reduce yourself to an ignorant Yankee-hater, stick to hoping the Nats can hang with them.

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 10:39 AM

Not an ignorant Yankee hater.  An informed A-Rod hater.  Can't stand the guy.  I think he's the biggest prima donna in pro sports, including the NBA.  Had it been Jeter, Granderson, Cano (I thought the Home Run Derby thing was pathetic), any of the others, really, I wouldn't have laughed.  A-Rod?  Sorry, can't help it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 10:59 AM

Heh. Nothing like rooting for the other guy to get hurt and carry grudges that had absolutely nothing to do with anything involving the O's or the Nats. I don't care for him myself but the Yankees are stuck with him so they make the best of it. (It's not like he's a flash in the pan or something anyway.)

I can't stand Harper myself, simply for seeing the childish act of blowing a kiss after hitting a home run. That doesn't mean I hope he ruptures an Achilles tendon, I'd rather beat him fair and square. I will enjoy the sophomore jinx next year when the rest of the league figures him out.  :-)

• JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 1:05 PM

If you had bothered to do the research, you'd have found that that particular pitcher had spent the entire game showing up Harper and his teammates.   Pointing at them, threatening them (after one of Harp's teammates hit a homer, the pitcher buzzed the next batter) etc.  Harper's blown kiss was entirely justified and appreciated greatly by his teammates as Harper showed up a pitcher that deserved to be shown up.

And enjoy at will.  I'm certain the league will figure out Harper much as they have Trout :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 1:37 PM

JaLaBar:
    Harper's blown kiss was entirely justified

Maybe by kids but you'd never see a Yankee do that and stay a Yankee. Class doesn't react, it just gets even.

Typical fan justification. 

RSS