Help › Forums

what's it take to make tour master?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 8 2012 9:46 AM (31 replies)
  • Games4Ever71
    623 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:53 PM

kajuguard:

Kajuguard here, I am a L66 Master with an avg. score of 66.5. I noticed that it had been taking about 5 to 6 more matches to adance from tier to tier starting with about 5 or 6 from hack to amateur up to about 26 scored matches from tour pro to master. I am currently sitting at well over 40 matches since turning Master. My last 3 scores are 33, 32 and 30. Just wondering what some of your experiences are for advancing to Tour Master and even to Legend. What's it take? Figured I would have advance by now.

Well, I am not far off from you. I have to get lower than a 35 now to get lower average. I can do it, now I have to get 34, and when that won't get me lower, then I will need 33 scores, and then 32, and so on. It will take me longer than it took me to go from tour pro to master, because I am not one of the best. Since my lower score of 9 hole is 31, and rarely get that score, it will take me quite a while to hit tour master. Probably until I get the new r11 set of clubs or r11s clubs or by the time I get to level 95, hope by then wgt will have full set of r11s clubs.

It does not take even after you have the 40 rank rounds played to only get few lower score to make it to new tier. It takes a lot of consistent lower scores to hit it. I played a lot of lower scores, and the most I drop at one time is .20 on average after each round, and that is with a score of 32.

You also have to be lower than 63 average to make tour master. Since, I get more 32 scores than 31, then 32 double is 64, means my average will not get low enough to hit tour master. I will have to be lucky to hit lower scores for tour master.

I predict for me to be legend will be next year around april or after. Tour Legend will probably take me another year to hit or longer, and I hope they won't come out with any more tiers before I hit Tour Legend.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Aug 7 2012 1:17 AM

To advance from Master, the minimum rounds are only for the Tigers between us.

I consider myself average, and I played well over 450 rounds as a Master. Eventually, only rounds of 65 and better remained in the mix.

Ambition becomes more and more related to the state of equipment. You need a peeking talent and discipline with minor equipment. Even with good clubs it's not coming by itself.

Besides of the clubs it's also the balls which make a difference. Not only do good balls play easier, longer and with more spin, they also add to accuracy and perhaps forgiveness.

So, it comes down to credits which request our money or time.

Other than that, I'm not here to chase the next tier or a certain average. I play for the fun of it and enjoy good rounds as well as bad rounds plus fun and thrill with my friends. Eventually I'll have collected enough 30s and 61s etc. to become a Legend, but I'm not sure if to look forward or to fear that moment.

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Tue, Aug 7 2012 6:06 AM

alosso:
    ... but I'm not sure if to look forward or to fear that moment.

Lots of good "bites" in your post.  However, this one is the best imo.  And, I think it stands for all of us at almost every tier.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Tue, Aug 7 2012 6:28 AM

Choppography:

alosso:
    ... but I'm not sure if to look forward or to fear that moment.

Lots of good "bites" in your post.  However, this one is the best imo.  And, I think it stands for all of us at almost every tier.

hardest promotions, IMO, is from TP to M .. & from TM to L ..

goin' from M to TM not that bad, since u only have to contend with faster greens ..

but nuthin' like teeing off from the lots .. u'll enjoy it more than the initial dread for sure ..

good idea to play practice rounds from championship tees & tourney greens before u get there ..

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Tue, Aug 7 2012 6:33 AM

tyvm Chop!

Fear may come from information or uninformedness...

I remember, in the beginning, I just learned how to putt and suddenly ev.thing was different again - must have become Amateur :)

It should not be too bad / difficult up to Tour Pro. Distances may be covered with the Starter equipment, putting on faster surfaces is a subject of learning. And the steps alternate: different tees for Pro, faster greens for Tour Pro. (Note aside: I love those "very fast" more than any other green speed)

1st difficult step is to Master: these distances require custom clubs, though I've seen one or two exceptional Masters with basic equipment. Having played a few rounds from there, I knew that I'd have to get me some nice clubs, which I did eventually. No major probs for those who have bought their Taylormades or Pings before.

Tour Master is "only" tournament greens, what the heck :)

Of course I know the Legend "parking lot" tees. Tried and failed at Olympic (Qualifier), try and fare better at Kiawah now. It's fun on one side, the coveted "views from the tips" sure are nice, but it will be more work, longer holes, higher winds... I'm a lazybones - how will I fare there?

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Tue, Aug 7 2012 7:36 AM

alosso:

Of course I know the Legend "parking lot" tees. Tried and failed at Olympic (Qualifier), try and fare better at Kiawah now. It's fun on one side, the coveted "views from the tips" sure are nice, but it will be more work, longer holes, higher winds... I'm a lazybones - how will I fare there?

u'll do great from there Paul !

u're a good player .. thx for kickin' my butt the other night .. LOL

(we need to get Andy into another irons game)

• ycfc1992
    1,143 Posts
    Tue, Aug 7 2012 1:29 PM

To get to tour master join a cc and set your favorite course best greens and wind speeds as a tournament for weeks on end usually st andrews front 9 there you go bobs your uncle lol

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:48 AM

I'm only half way to legend, but let's see how these thoughts check out...

Hack to Amateur - Learn how to time the meter a little.  Play a few rounds and get comfy on a particular course (Kiawah or St. Andrews).  As you adjust to the game, in general, you'll find yourself promoted.

Amateur to Pro - Start figuring out at some point that you may want some equipment.  Maybe read a little in the forums and realize putting is where it's at in this game....as with real golf.  Get good at hitting fairways and the fat parts of greens.  Work on eliminating 3putts.  Maybe a small upgraded putter and/or a driver.  Start learning you are going to have to spend some money on the site or go blind on videos and surveys.

Pro to Tour Pro - Add a little length to your game.  Start worrying about getting the ball inside 20 feet on approaches....10 with wedges.  Start learning about flops, punches, and chips to save pars and make some birdies.  Learn to hit from sand and deeper rough.

Focus on those and you are a Tour Pro without too much labor.

Tour Pro to Master - Now, you need to score.  You realize it's going to take equipment to reach Master.  You have likely upgraded all areas of equipment....maybe even the ball.  (You are also completely hooked on the game, the forums, your CC, etc...lol)  But, now you have to be very adept at saving par from almost anywhere, and you have to be in that position rarely.  You are working on the finer aspects of the game.....topspin to run the ball up, backspin to try and hold a green, where to land the ball on the green to leave yourself a good chance at making the putt, chipping and trying to make it.  Par is easy for you.  Birdies are getting easier to come by, but bogeys occasionally trash a good score.  The closer you hit to the pin, the more birdies you make.

Master to Tour Master - I'm sure it's more refinement of putting and short game.  Punching your wedges like darts.  And, of course adjusting your "putting eye" to the slick tourney greens.  You have to play more break now.  Putts you were able to just ram through the break make you a bit nervous now because you know you may have a 6 footer coming back if your meter jumps on you...lol.  You likely need a higher level driver to close the distance gap again and start hitting 8 irons instead of 4 irons into those tourney greens.

Tour Master to Legend - Well, no way you haven't upgraded tons of stuff by now.  You likely know the game inside and out when it comes to putting together your set of clubs.  No distance gaps in your bag, and you know how to use all facets of your shots (except maybe the pitch shot).  You hit it close, and you make the close and semi-close putts.  You don't 3 putt and you don't fail to escape trouble.

Legend to Tour Legend -  Dear God, who knows.  But, you likely have a near flawless game from tee to green.  And, your putting game is close to tops, too.  61 is a terrible score for you.  Birdies and some eagles are the norm for you.  Par is a failure.  Make a bogey, and someone likely needs to talk you off the bridge.

Hope that's about right.  But, I'm sure I'll learn how simplistic this was when I get a little further down the road.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:36 AM

lol, yeah Chop, that pretty much sums it up .. but rest assured, the odd bogey is still there .. it's about how u recover to still post a decent round ..

u r definitely hooked .. don't try and fight it; that would be a fruitless endeavor ..

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Wed, Aug 8 2012 9:02 AM

Choppography:

I'm only half way to legend, but let's see how these thoughts check out...

Hack to Amateur - Learn how to time the meter a little.  Play a few rounds and get comfy on a particular course (Kiawah or St. Andrews).  As you adjust to the game, in general, you'll find yourself promoted.

Amateur to Pro - Start figuring out at some point that you may want some equipment.  Maybe read a little in the forums and realize putting is where it's at in this game....as with real golf.  Get good at hitting fairways and the fat parts of greens.  Work on eliminating 3putts.  Maybe a small upgraded putter and/or a driver.  Start learning you are going to have to spend some money on the site or go blind on videos and surveys.

Gr8 stuff Chop!

I'm just wondering if Mr. Perfect would do all this with Starter wedges? ;)

Somewhere in the cited timespan he should get himself two decent wedges, IMHO even before Driver.

Edit: The Starter wedges suck most of all Starter clubs IMO

RSS