Help › Forums

Best Performance for Windows 7

Tue, Aug 14 2012 7:30 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Lowbrass000
    18 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:23 AM

Meter jerk and play quality fixed

For those few golfers that use their computer for nothing more than WGT, like me, I have found a simple fix.  I would like for others to experiment and post their results.

For Windows 7

Go to your control panel, performance and tools, on the left you will see visual effects.  Adjust for best performance.  Then got to the advanced tab, select visual memory. Select custom size. Set initial size to 6000, and Max size to 6000 (remember if it doesn't work, you can always go back to default)  

Theses settings have been flawless for the most part.  

Try it out and let me know what you think. Thanks 

Mike

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:15 PM

interesting. would like a few more people to try this/confirm.

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 1:23 PM

I can confirm this and have posted it previously. Another trick that works wonders in Win7 is to turn off desktop composition. To do so simply follow these steps.

1. Navigate to the executable or shortcut for the program you wish to disable desktop composition using Explorer.

2. Right click on it and select Properties.

3. Select the Compatibility tab and check Disable desktop composition, then click on OK.

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:14 PM

Lowbrass000:

Meter jerk and play quality fixed

For those few golfers that use their computer for nothing more than WGT, like me, I have found a simple fix.  I would like for others to experiment and post their results.

For Windows 7

Go to your control panel, performance and tools, on the left you will see visual effects.  Adjust for best performance.  Then got to the advanced tab, select visual memory. Select custom size. Set initial size to 6000, and Max size to 6000 (remember if it doesn't work, you can always go back to default)  

Theses settings have been flawless for the most part.  

Try it out and let me know what you think. Thanks 

Mike

i've done all this .. busy testing .. although since using Maxthon3 browser i've experienced a near flawless meter .. will see if this adds to it ..

i've noticed the format of my fonts change slightly as well as the format for my menu bar .. reverted to an older format

also one question: "Then got to the advanced tab, select visual memory. Select custom size. Set initial size to 6000, and Max size to 6000"  .. why those specific figures ?

• Lowbrass000
    18 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:24 PM

I am currently running comodo browser, if you find anything using Max please reply.  I have set those both to 6000 to show you an example of increasing your visual memory on your hard drive and relieve stress to the RAM.  I would recommend 1.5 times your default size.  This is really just a test to test post.  Looking for others interested in performance.

• Games4Ever71
    623 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:31 PM

Well, this would not even work for me, plus I can not stand the look of basic ugly looking old windows even just for to play this game. It runs fine with windows 7 aero. I can't change virtual memory to 6000 and 6000, because I got 4 gigs of memory total. This is on laptop with geforce 8800m GTS card. Which runs nicely anyways, with few hiccups on meter. 

My 4 gigs of ram is crucial gaming memory to make games run smoother anyways. I paid $79 a stick when first came out at best buy in 2008. Has made my laptop fine since. I use Maxthon 3 browser myself, within the last few days that I saw a thread in this forum about it being better to run this game. I think I will stay with same settings and play. Meter jump stop or jump twice a day is not going to kill me.

I think if people have faster computers than me should not have any problems, unless their checking out bad sites and got nasties on their computer that need cleaning.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 5:20 PM

Games4Ever71:
    I can not stand the look of basic ugly looking old windows even just for to play this game. It runs fine with windows 7 aero. I can't change virtual memory to 6000 and 6000, because I got 4 gigs of memory total. This is on laptop with geforce 8800m GTS card. Which runs nicely anyways, with few hiccups on meter. 

I also wont revert back to a WIN95 GUI

I agree with the above...

WIn7 requires 4gb ram.. 
    A decent dedicated video card for optimum performance with .. anything. 

And good knowledge of what the heck is starting up with windows everytime it boots. You will be surprised the baggage it carries around.

• Lowbrass000
    18 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:42 PM

Ok this forum was not created to bash, If your not interested, please turn the page.  This post is for those of us that need help with computer performance because they do not have the top of the line computers.  I see why people keep their tips to themselves. ffs

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:37 PM

Lowbrass000:

Ok this forum was not created to bash, If your not interested, please turn the page.  This post is for those of us that need help with computer performance because they do not have the top of the line computers.  I see why people keep their tips to themselves. ffs

who is bashing here?

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Aug 13 2012 4:31 PM

Lowbrass000:
    Ok this forum was not created to bash,

No one is bashing anyone.

Lowbrass000:
    is for those of us that need help with computer performance because they do not have the top of the line computers.

Dont need a top of the line computer, need to maximise your own if you are running win 7 and have to revert to downgrading appearance.

Personally I was suggesting other ways of optimising your performance by some housekeeping.

Downgrade your appearance if you like, however, unless you learn how to house keep and optimise, what are you going to do when your downgraded version becomes choked?

• PAGES
RSS