Forums

Help › Forums

MAX balls

Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:30 PM (199 replies)
  • bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:23 PM

With the MAX ball, you're buying a slow meter.  If you can't hit the ding and it's worth it to you, go for it.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:40 PM

Do they have to be black?

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Mon, Sep 17 2012 10:25 PM

bubbadork:

With the MAX ball, you're buying a slow meter.  If you can't hit the ding and it's worth it to you, go for it.

Well, you'll notice that there's a definite trade-off there, bubba. Like 2.5 Spin vs 3.5 on the Callaway and 4.5 on the Nike. Anybody out there value Spin over Feel? But the killer is that these damn balls cost 6 bucks a sleeve and die quicker than either the Nikes or Callaways. What's THAT all about? I mean, it's not like we're talking about a real golf ball, made out of special materials, etc. It's a code snip, not more than a couple of tweaks away from the WGT freebie. IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY EXIST!

How's about trying some "shoe on the other foot" what-ifs. In all traits except for Feel, the Nike ball out-performs the MAX, so, if the MAX is to sell for 600 credits, let's hear the screech if WGT decides to up the cost on the Nike ball to, oh say, 800 credits. Fair enough?

That MAX ball represents RELATIVE VALUE (compared to other balls) of around 400-450 credits. Anything more is an outright, brazen gouge.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2012 3:38 AM

I like the idea that you have to consider meter speed when you buy clubs. Shall I buy the gentle G20'sor shall I choose the much better R9 although the meter speed is much higher? Somehow I make a choice depending on how I play, safe with margins because I miss the ding often  or aggressive because I am good at twitching my my finger at exactly the right moment.

The "feel" factor on the balls negates this. Buying better clubs for better performance is natural and the same goes with balls, but IMO only when it comes to distance and spin rating. Well, precision could be in there as well. 

But meter speed? Seriously? Is that not more or less the same as distance? Do you hit the ball in slow motion IRL just because you have a slo-mo ball? I don't think so, you hit full strength because it will make the ball fly further. Maybe the "feel" rating could be motivated for the short play, for the flops, pitches, chips and putts, but not while hitting a full shot.

Buying good tools is one thing, buying skill is another.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Tue, Sep 18 2012 7:40 AM

Feel IS meter speed.  I definitely value spin more.  I ding quite a bit and hit within 3 lines or so on most of the rest of the shots.  My putter is twice as slow as my long clubs and I don't ding it a bit more.  

I'd rather have 99 to 1 carry vs. roll (or better) than 90 to 10.  I mean, I love roll downhill in the middle of the fairway on a long drive, but the rest of the time I want to stop where I hit. Cep'n water, of course, I'd like a LOT of roll there.

I value precision and forgiveness about equally.  I want the ball to go near where I aim whether I hit the ding or just get close.  When I have one of my ol' man spasms and miss right of the ding by a half-inch I take the bad and move on.  

When I ding and get the occasional wide miss, I just mark it up to a WTF shot and move on.  I know that most of my precision/forgiveness deviations are going to be within one or two standard deviations, but I also know I'm going to get that outlier now and then.

Bottom line, I use the Nike in credit games, especially CTTHs.  Otherwise, I use the Callaway (when I remember to change it).

Essentially, I have the tools.  All the ding-hitting, precision/forgiveness, and balance help.  When it comes to getting that ball in the cup I am gonna have to work on reading the greens.  I'm 56% two-putts, 34% one-putts, and only make 45% of my putts from 5 feet in.

Maybe they'll make a ball that sniffs and follows the break like a good ol' bloodhound.   :-)

• YankeeAirPirate
    124 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:42 AM

The primary messag in pricing the MAX Pro ball at 600 credits can only boil down to: "Olpharts, GET LOST!" There's no more overhead expense for WGT to program a MAX Pro than there is in a 100 credit ball.

Couple that with a Mayfly-like (touch-die) 2-dot life span and the only conclusion to be drawn is that WGT Marketing has decided that the olpharts will keep coughing up the gold to get the swing meter (5-dot Feel) that their past-their-prme reflexes and eyesight can handle. Nope. No sale, just out of principle if nothing else. It's a gouge.

• GaryKoop
    149 Posts
    Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:49 AM

Can we have some pro V1's?  

1c a piece!  Thx 

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 1:56 PM

GaryKoop:

1c a piece!  Thx 

WOW I'd go for that! :-)--------Good discussion and lots of information. I appreciate it as I'm one of the "ole farts" that has trouble missing the ding and was wondering about the relative value vs Nike and Calloway. Thanks

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Sun, Sep 23 2012 6:02 PM

TracyMax:

GaryKoop:

1c a piece!  Thx 

WOW I'd go for that! :-)--------Good discussion and lots of information. I appreciate it as I'm one of the "ole farts" that has trouble missing the ding and was wondering about the relative value vs Nike and Calloway. Thanks

The slower meter seems to jitter moreso then the faster metered balls . Dont know wht that is but thats how it works for me on my computer. I said before that the NIKE level 71 ball fits my G20's best . I guess if the faster metered R11's are to be used then the black ball is best . Its all a matter of preference if you ask me because I have played legends that use the unlimited ball and know how to use them.

RSS