Forums

Help › Forums

Is it free?

Sat, Oct 20 2012 7:30 PM (29 replies)
  • bobOOsse
    3 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2012 3:37 PM

Hi

I am new here but as I m found of golf and a PC geek, WGT could be the end of my relationship.

I a m playing to improve my own skills, read most of the forum trying to process all the tips. But at a certain point I am guessing good equipement is not opional. (Some Par 4 are at best Bogeys with the starter driver for instance).

So credit are needed. WGT is said to be a free game, isn't it?

I was happy to gain my first 50 C changing tier to Amateur. But with that... you can have 3 balls that won't last.

So i have a few question.

As anyone succeed to go around the Par average with the starter bag? Are there some touraments where anyone has to play the starter bag ?

How can I get some credit?

oh yes I haven't explain that videos and surveys ar not available to me. (Not in my area apparently). In tournaments? not those with fees to start with, not the others when winners scores like 60ich. Even the random drawing ones are reserved for certain countries( I really don't get the sympathy of that?)

That leaves me with challenges? Do I need to practice my ass to the next tier and with my 100 credits , to have 2 shots on challenges to ingnigate my fortune,hoping not to face an already equiped opponent?

So is it free or am I missing something?

It 's free for some people not for everyone. that sucks!

Maybe Europe is not in the buisness plan of WGT.

Going back at my bogeys...

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:44 PM

Aren't there any offers available to you? Surely there must be something you need that could earn you credits. When I started here there were no videos, or offers and hardly any surveys. Life is much easier now.

• WarnersSafeCure
    682 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:41 AM

yo bob.   there are plenty of players on here that stick with starter clubs. and do pretty well.  on the whole, most players will upgrade to better gear.  the game being addictive as it is.

my view is, you dont have to spend a fortune here.  youve only just started,  take time to learn the courses,  and greens.  its  slow process believe me.  when you get pro status.  look at the drivers available to you.  and balls.  you will get a driver for the price of a pint of beer. 

if you want credits, there must be something in the offers somewhere,  or change your localee. it has worked for others

• bobOOsse
    3 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:40 AM

hi,

yes there are offers available, but you have to pay for them (for stuff i don't need)

I really agree with you WarnersSafeCure, i have a lot of improvements on my skills ahead, I can lower my avg score a lot. And I will do exactly that. But with starters I don't think it is possible to go beyond a certain limit.

Forget the word Eagle (or pray for a 30mph wind, in the right direction).

The drive+ the 3wood at max it is 225+205=430 yds so forget the regulation on each Par 4 hole above that. (minus those when your facing a strong  headwind).

Putting is tough in general, but most of the time with the starters you have your first putt far from the hole cause with no spin possibility shooting the green with 3W or 3H, landing flat, forget the pin on numerous holes protected by a bunker.

So my guess is that at best your average would be 75 if you are a machine.

I would be very interested to know the best avg someone has with starters. If a good player is willingto proove me wrong, I would be pleased to play and see that

What I am saying is that WGT which presents itself as a free game is lying to attract people. Just like others mmorpg games some would say. Trust my experience on that part it is much worst here, you cannot compete on the long haul here against  credit users.

I ll give  a try to change my localee...who knows.

• Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 7:01 AM

Bob I think the broken video carousel is a temporary thing that WGT are trying to fix so you should be able to start getting a few credits from there when they do.

Maybe join a CC with other low tier players, they often have CC tournies that are free to enter but with a prize sponsored by another CC member. It's also a good way to make friends and learn more than you can read in the forums.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:38 PM

Theoretically, yes you can play the game without spending a penny, however WGT is a business model, and as such like any business, the goal is to make a profit.

You can shoot sub par rounds with the starters clubs on the easier courses, but this requires a lot of practice, especially on how to get your approach shots close as you are very limited on spin to get birdies. I managed to get to masters level with only a purchase of a cheap driver upgrade.

However, and this is where the business model kicks in, with the tier increases comes added distance, so each increase means relearning your game without the better equipment (and really hones in your short game) or you simply have to upgrade your equipment.

I did the video views for a year accumulating the credits (were more generous on views/credit ratio then). I also did some surveys but again the availability and frequency was very limited. If I had my time again (once I had established that it was a great game) I would just bite the bullet and buy credits to upgrade the equipment and would have risen through the tiers so much faster. I feel I wasted over a year struggling with the starters equipment.

As for challenges, Caveat Emptor - there are some sharks out there with great equipment who will kindly take your credits in a heartbeat.

So is it free, yes if you want to challenge yourself to score low using starters equipment or no, if you really want to  shoot lows scores, you will at some stage need to open your wallet (especially if the free credits are limited in your region).

Regardless I love the game, it is addictive (especially in winter when playing real golf can be miserable) and there are some great people on here but whichever route you take, just enjoy the game for what it is - a game.

• ujjbnjk
    2,128 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:43 PM

bobOOsse:
    I would be very interested to know the best avg someone has with starters.

i played with the starter set for almost half a year and if i dont remeber wrong i got my avg down to 67-68.

just buyed you knew clubs tho didnt you get them?. look in mess box. 

• lazerl
    74 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:51 PM

i played with starter clubs for over a year,i figured this game was good enough to deserve my cash. stuck 50 quid on bought some clubs and began to enjoythis game even more.stick with it learn the courses then get your wallet out. or not. your choice.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:55 PM

My Pfennig:

Forget about winning credits for a loooong time - the sharks are around everywhere, levelling up for the good clubs and playing low tier tourneys.

Only chance is the sweepstakes, 10 or 15 per month, try your luck - oops, you're excluded? Bad luck!

But yes, breaking par is possible. I once played a Master who fared very well with Starters (clubs and balls!) plus only a mediocre custom driver. He beat me (Tour Pro then) from the Master's tees.

Right now, I play a Starters only tournament, "Tough it out". The leader, a legend of course, is -3 after two rounds, from the Pro tees I guess.

So, with zero credits involved, you can only enjoy the sun out on these marvellous courses and try your best. It will be free but you'll have to create some extra thrills to keep it fun over the time.

Two small investments will increase the fun tremendously:

- buying two decent wedges (Ping or up) and

- buying a good(!) 3WD, replacing the driver.

Even as a Tour Pro I had much fun with my lvl 47 Rapture 3WD, <400 cr. That's less than two drinks at any bistro or bar.

• Games4Ever71
    623 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:18 PM

This site is only free if you do the earn free credits. Otherwise, this site is not free. You can play free with the lowest equipment without credits, then this site is considered free. Buying credits does not make this site free. Buying something does not mean free. Just because you play for free does not mean this site is free. If you have to put money towards something it is not free. To get really what you want out of this game you will sometime lose patience in earning credits and pay instead.

RSS