Help › Forums

Is someone kidding who?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 27 2012 7:27 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Tue, Dec 25 2012 8:13 PM

8.83 in the CTTH Putting Challenge; really?  LOL  Congrats though. :)  I missed just one of my 9 putts by more than 8.83.  Maybe Santa is real?  Wonder if things are ever going to change to give Everyone a fair chance at Every Tier and Every Level?

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Tue, Dec 25 2012 8:31 PM

I could understand that after 3-4 holes, not a full round. Sounds like nonsense to me. Another reason I don't even try. Really, some of the scores I am seeing are so beyond belief. I play for the fun, always have, always will.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Dec 25 2012 8:37 PM

renniw52:
    I play for the fun, always have, always will.

Same here......  and the simple fact that you don't really feel like you are drinking alone on wgt.  ;-)

• frappefort
    3,994 Posts
    Tue, Dec 25 2012 10:22 PM

if using wedges on the greens where to be banned ,you would not see  scores like this . One member of our club , never putts  , and he gets them in  9 out of 10 times .I dont like it ,but i know there no rules about this in real golf, and here a virtuel game  players can do anything they want with there shots .  CTTH putting Challenge ,if you are a good putter ,chance you will not get close to those using wedges on the green and that is not correct in my book .    wedges  are not putters   why alow them on the greens for those kind of putting contest   is way past me .   This is my opignion only  ,it is not a whinning  comment.    Francois (Frapp)

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2012 5:21 AM

Much has been written about the use of wedges on the greens ( the two putting challenges I competed in were jokingly refferred to " Wedgefest" and "Wedgefest part Deux". Personally, I'd like to see WGT change its' stance on this simply for that reason. If it's a "Putting" competition, use a putter, otherwise just call it another "CTTH" competition. I will say low scores are possible without the use of wedges though as after countless hours of trying ( and restarts) I was able to score a 14.7 in the Nation only challenge ( not so well in the 2nd challenge after WGT tightened the screws). I mention this as a "be careful of what you wish for" warning to all who continue to complain about low scores. WGT certainly has the ability to prevent low scores and has already implemented new parameters based on player imput. I would even go so far as to say, there wouldn't be quite so many Legends and Tour Legends at this point were the game this difficult as they were moving up through the ranks. That is not to say they wouldn't make it eventually, as they are that good, just that it probably would have taken them longer. My position is, if you want a "tougher" game, dust off your starter equipment and have at it, but I'm of the opinion that,  for most of us, the game is tough enough as it stands.

Doc :)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2012 7:54 AM

I went from hack to fossil, before I made Legend. I was part of a forensic lab, before I became a member of the WGT Hall of Fame. It took me 1618 ranked rounds to hit the big L. No rapid advancement in my case.

• Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2012 9:20 AM

frappefort:

if using wedges on the greens where to be banned ,you would not see  scores like this . One member of our club , never putts  , and he gets them in  9 out of 10 times .I dont like it ,but i know there no rules about this in real golf, and here a virtuel game  players can do anything they want with there shots .  CTTH putting Challenge ,if you are a good putter ,chance you will not get close to those using wedges on the green and that is not correct in my book .    wedges  are not putters   why alow them on the greens for those kind of putting contest   is way past me .   This is my opignion only  ,it is not a whinning  comment.    Francois (Frapp)

Glad I'm not alone on this. :) Maybe I'm old-fashioned but to me, Putting is Putting. Therefore a 'Putting contest' should be just That; putting. It's up to WGT and I don't have the right to complain if they want to continue the use of wedges. But since none of my wedges nor by putting, can even come close to acing #2, I suggest that is a problem that should be corrected. I'm fairly certain it's because I use the free Starter balls and they simply can't grab the green enough nor resist the massive break enough to come close to acing #2. I could be wrong but I've never seen a Replay Ace of #2 using both a Putter and Starting ball, the way #2 is currently set up? So if true, at the very least, they should make #2 a hole that can be Aced by putting a Starting ball too. :) Many players use Starter balls and shouldn't have to resort to wedges if they wish to stay true to form and putt the entire Putting Course, IMO. And no one using Starter balls should have to spend money trying find just the right wedge for Just One Hole, so they can have a legitimate chance to ace #2 with a wedge even though they won't ever be able to ace it by putting. :)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2012 9:56 AM

Oldstir:

8.83 in the CTTH Putting Challenge; really?  LOL  Congrats though. :)  I missed just one of my 9 putts by more than 8.83.  Maybe Santa is real?  Wonder if things are ever going to change to give Everyone a fair chance at Every Tier and Every Level?

You have to be a "grinder" for any CTTH challenge.

In the top ten is a member of my CC, we actually gave up on lowest scores and our owner now sets up a target score...say 156.23 feet...etc, and he still is within .02 to .04 of target.

I've no doubt if he puts the time in, he'd be sub 10 feet also.

I don't have the patience for restarts, but some see it as a bigger challenged than shooting sub 30 or sub 60 in stroke play.

If you take detailed notes (wind included) and think a bit outside the box  (i/e maybe not dinging it, but hitting early and late on putts), and you have the consistency to pull it off, you'll have low CTTH scores as well.

• Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2012 10:39 AM

renniw52:

I could understand that after 3-4 holes, not a full round. Sounds like nonsense to me. Another reason I don't even try. Really, some of the scores I am seeing are so beyond belief. I play for the fun, always have, always will.

Concur with you on that and I think the 'Tournament Format' could be made more fair for Everyone. IMO, they should also match players on the basis of who has the Same Strength of Driver and Irons and Balls and Average and Level; not just by tier. Because, as it seems to be implied, only the Most Highly Skilled (perhaps top 1%) and players that can afford the Best Equipment, Always win almost All of the Tournaments and the rest might get some crumbs if they're super lucky? :) In other words, why not ALSO have Tournaments strictly for players with averages in the 50s? Or a tourney for players with below 56 averages and a different tourney for players with averages between 56 and 60? Then have different tourneys for players with averages between 60 and 61 and another tourney for players with averages between 62 and 63 and so forth which might give All members a chance to win instead of mainly those who can always score in the 50s? :)

They could also have tourneys strictly for players that use Free Starter balls and also base those tourneys on the "Same Strength of Driver and Irons and Balls and Average and Level"? Haven't officially 'suggested' these things to WGT yet and maybe someone already has before but it seems a reasonable addition to the site? Anyway, I echo your sentiments that it's pointless to try and therefore just have fun the best we can but it could be more fun and more rewarding for more members if changes were made, is all I'm suggesting? :) As well, perhaps if WGT drastically reduced the cost of the Better Balls AND they lasted much longer, there would probably be many more 'Highly Skilled Players' developed and much closer competition?

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Dec 26 2012 11:12 AM

Oldstir:
    Concur with you on that and I think the 'Tournament Format' could be made more fair for Everyone. IMO, they should also match players on the basis of who has the Same Strength of Driver and Irons and Balls and Average and Level; not just by tier

I assume you are no longer talking about CTTH tourney's?

• PAGES
RSS