Forums

Help › Forums

WGT.COM chipping is a guessing game

Mon, Dec 31 2012 6:52 PM (6 replies)
  • keener123
    4 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:25 PM

Just played St Andrews was 18 yards from pin in two with pin 9 ft below. Should be a little chip to half way and let it run out to the hole. Took the backswing to hit the shot about 10 yards, hit the bullseye and got a ping on the hit. Ball went 1 yard. Now just a guess how to hit this shot. ended up with a bogey. WGT fix you chipping especially of the fairway. If you get a ping it is supposed to be good feedback not totally negative. 

Ruined several chipping ops close to the pin off the fairway where I should have been putting for birdie. 

I guess you need to buy credits so you can buy a better putter? Is that your ploy??

Not happy with experience.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2012 1:35 AM

Congratulations!

You just learned that chipping doesn't work under the conditions given.

A chip must land on fringe or green to run it's way. It will fly about 20% of the desired length. On fairway or rough, it will stick on landing.

With fairway in front of you, a pitch might have been better, or a flop, with proper equipment.

And yes, the "free" game ends when you expect more than the Starters can give you.

Alas, I'd not start with buying a putter but wedges. Then driver, then woods/irons, at last the putter.

Edit:

Having seen your advanced equipment, only the last Starter wedge needs to be replaced.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2012 2:51 AM

Practicing the flop shot will save you many strokes. I hardly ever use the chip option.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2012 4:30 AM

keener123:
    If you get a ping it is supposed to be good feedback not totally negative. 

The ding / ping doesn't mean its a good shot...it means the info you've put in will be executed optimally (that's the idea anyway). :))

Andy

• keener123
    4 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2012 3:04 PM

Thanks for the comments. I think if the shot line on a chip showed where the ball would land it would be more realistic. In real golf you usually pick a landing spot knowing how much the ball will roll and pitch to the slope of the green. Club selection would also determine how far the ball travels in the air and give you more options to use the clubs in your bag.  The shot line in WGT.com shows where the ball will end up so it is a bit of a guessing game to pick a landing spot. You have to guess based on chipping instructions from WGT.com based on you lie.

In addition WGT will not let you putt from off the green or fringe. In real golf if I was 1 yard off the green with a short distance to the hole and had a downward slope I would opt to putt in may situations.

I'll keep trying.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:24 PM

keener123:
    In real golf you usually pick a landing spot knowing how much the ball will roll and pitch to the slope of the green.
    Just do the same here!

You have to know where the shot will land like out there, it's just a tad more of imagination to do it right.

And you still have that dreadful LW in your bag....!

• keener123
    4 Posts
    Mon, Dec 31 2012 6:52 PM

ya you are right the flop shot is actually more like a chip and way more predictable

RSS