Forums

Help › Forums

Setting marker for 2nd shot

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 2 2013 1:12 AM (25 replies)
  • Edbeau
    98 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 6:46 PM

Can someone help me setup my approach shot to the green? 

I am not able to learn after a yr of playing how to read the wind and set the marker???

Having a tough time just need someone willing to help....

I am a TM Level 90 and still stuck  PPPPPlease help..... I have tried all I know just asking for help ...

Thanks

Edbeau 

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 7:17 PM

Edbeau:

I am not able to learn after a yr of playing how to read the wind and set the marker???

I am a TM Level 90 and still stuck  PPPPPlease help..... I have tried all I know just asking for help ...

Thanks

Edbeau  lmao if u a tm level 90 u doing just fine

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 7:33 PM

I am not quite sure what you mean. I use the marker as the spot to aim for taking the wind into account - not to where the ball will finish. For example the marker may be aimed for the rough, but the wind will bring the ball back.

Experience and practice is the key - level 90 you must be doing something right.

• Edbeau
    98 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:02 PM

alanti:

I am not quite sure what you mean. I use the marker as the spot to aim for taking the wind into account - not to where the ball will finish. For example the marker may be aimed for the rough, but the wind will bring the ball back.

Experience and practice is the key - level 90 you must be doing something right.

Now you make things a bit clear ,,,, I move the marker expecting the ball to land there .... so what I assume you are saying I am incorrect..... 

but how do I move the ball closer to the pin if I have no idea how far I am moving the marker over... I am as you well know guessing.... but loved your reply it makes sense and helps me... but need to figure how to determine how to adjust maker .... If I move it ,,, its width I figure that is approx. 8 '  so after that it is a guessing game.....  OOOO welcome to GOLF... THANK YOU ..... 

• xXxjasonxXx
    688 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:19 PM

Edbeau:

Thanks

Edbeau 

Well here is wat i do,,,,, i use my marker the big blue box i count my movements with it wat i mean by count is line the edge of blue box up with flag stick an count how many boxs u moved right or left of the pin now its not perfect because the only guide u have is the flag stick to get u started the rest of the moves are by eye an just take notes on wind if u need to hope i was some help for ya best i can do for ya  good luck an wish ya the best........

• Edbeau
    98 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:29 PM

xXxjasonxXx:

Edbeau:

Thanks

Edbeau 

Well here is wat i do,,,,, i use my marker the big blue box i count my movements with it wat i mean by count is line the edge of blue box up with flag stick an count how many boxs u moved right or left of the pin now its not perfect because the only guide u have is the flag stick to get u started the rest of the moves are by eye an just take notes on wind if u need to hope i was some help for ya best i can do for ya  good luck an wish ya the best........

that is awesome advice ,,,, I appreciate your help. I am hitting the course now to try it ... Thnks.. 

• Edbeau
    98 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:32 PM

alanti:

I see your post on here a lot an I thank you.. Legend info in hard to come by and I want to let you know it is appreciated ... 

Edbeau

• xXxjasonxXx
    688 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:48 PM

just remember that some course's play wind stronger then others so if u need to take note tell it just come natural i would...

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:58 PM

xXxjasonxXx:

just remember that some course's play wind stronger then others so if u need to take note tell it just come natural i would...

Very true and some holes the wind usually has less effect. Important to take notes (even if mental ones). I do a similar thing to Jason with the box but mostly by feel and by past results. High winds can still be my undoing, which is true in real life for me too. Remember the further out you are the more the effect the wind has and punch shots also stay a little lower and the wind has slightly less impact from my experience.

And then there is VEM lol.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Tue, Feb 19 2013 10:24 PM

Edbeau: you line up your second shot pretty much the same as you would if it were your first (tee) shot. i.e. you allow for the wind and put your aim point offset to calculate that.

Of course usually your second shot is into the green so you also need to take account of what will happen to the ball AFTER it lands, (greens are mown closer so the ball will roll further) so in addition to the wind you need to allow for the slope of the green. A lot of that you can get from zooming in and looking at the pitch view, but sometimes you will just have to take notes and learn from them. Think of it the same as when you play your second shot on a very long par 5 in a high wind into a lumpy fairway.

RSS