Help › Forums

Setting marker for 2nd shot

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 2 2013 1:12 AM (25 replies)
  • jude27
    3 Posts
    Fri, Feb 22 2013 3:01 AM

Hi Edbeau ,

piece of advice given to me by a tour legend is the length of the flagsick is approx equal to 3mph of wind , so will work the same from any distance out as i said it is approx so a bit of adjusting maybe needed on different courses .

hope this helps along with all the other good advice you've been given . 

Jude27

• Edbeau
    98 Posts
    Fri, Feb 22 2013 5:32 AM

Rockitch:

Steve2golf:
    If you line up the edge of the blue box with the flag from the golfers view point, that is apprx what a 5 mph wind will move the ball for a straight side wind. double it for 10 and so on and so on etc etc.......

Is it really that simple ? I would say it makes a whole lot of difference if you are hitting a 3i, a 9i or a wedge.

R.

I did hit a 230 with a R11 that was within 18" of the hole today ,,,, So I like Steve's method and I also dropped 3 strokes in my first try ... ck my stats I was very impressed.... 

Steve your the man in my book..

Edbeau 

Thank you 

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Fri, Feb 22 2013 7:43 AM

Edbeau:

Rockitch:

Steve2golf:
    If you line up the edge of the blue box with the flag from the golfers view point, that is apprx what a 5 mph wind will move the ball for a straight side wind. double it for 10 and so on and so on etc etc.......

Is it really that simple ? I would say it makes a whole lot of difference if you are hitting a 3i, a 9i or a wedge.

R.

I did hit a 230 with a R11 that was within 18" of the hole today ,,,, So I like Steve's method and I also dropped 3 strokes in my first try ... ck my stats I was very impressed.... 

Steve your the man in my book..

Edbeau 

Thank you 

It's a very good tip, but with a slight hiccup. It only works if your total amount of spin (clubs + balls combo) is approximately the same as Steve's.

The more your total amount of spin is, the more direction gets affected by the same strength of wind. For instance, if you have 15 mph left to right wind and you aim for the exact same spot, a 200y shot with R11s and Nike-S balls (L47,60,70,80) will land at least 5y further to the right than it would if you used the same clubs with the Nike-X ball (L48,61,71,81). And if you took that same shot with let's say G20s and starter balls, you'd land at least 10y to the left (much less total spin).  Same goes for calculating distance in head winds.

You would also need to account for a different trajectory different clubs have (especially with stronger winds). The higher the trajectory, the stronger the wind becomes, therefore it affects the ball flight more.

I have no doubt this tip works very well for Steve with his gear, but anyone with a different set should tweak these figures to adjust for the total amount of spin they have with their gear.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Fri, Feb 22 2013 10:04 PM

Steve2golf:

My My 2 pages and still no answer, does everything have to be a secret.

Have fun now you have an exact measurement to move for a side wind.

Interesting, thank you. Can you clarify a point though? The aiming marker (the upside down blue triangle) is in the middle of the blue box, so if you want to offset for a 10mph wind do you line up the 'second' blue box with the edge of the first or with the blue aiming marker on the first i.e. the 'middle' of the first box. Obviously there is only one box in reality but I'm thinking of either sticking something on my screen or just guestimating where the edge / centre of the first box was.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:57 PM

Chinajohn:

Steve2golf:

My My 2 pages and still no answer, does everything have to be a secret.

Have fun now you have an exact measurement to move for a side wind.

Interesting, thank you. Can you clarify a point though? The aiming marker (the upside down blue triangle) is in the middle of the blue box, so if you want to offset for a 10mph wind do you line up the 'second' blue box with the edge of the first or with the blue aiming marker on the first i.e. the 'middle' of the first box. Obviously there is only one box in reality but I'm thinking of either sticking something on my screen or just guestimating where the edge / centre of the first box was.

Two things, not sure what your question is because there is only 1 box, if you move it half a box to line it with the flag and you need to double it 10 mph, you would need to put the edge of the blue box where the triangle was/is for 10, rinse and repeat for further.

In addition I have used this method with various different clubs and balls and I'm sure it is not exact, however it's better for me then "that looks about right" and obvious to me at least if I'm about to hit full top spin or going downhill significantly with back spin then slight adjustments are done.

I'm a little slow, but I have often seen the flag stick advice, but as near as I have seen here, and I may be missing an important feature, but I see no way to start moving the flag around and laying it down for measurement purposes.

But the idea for me is to get reasonably close without the need for complicated formulas.  I have stiffed plenty of wedges to drivers using this method as well in some significant side winds, so i like it. Will it always work, of course not, to many other things get factored in for anything to be perfect.

Furthermore the golfers viewpoint is the only reasonably consistent camera angle and provides a distance perspective that the other camera angles do not. That's why rulers or stickies wont work because the further you are away the smaller the distance of moving the marker in relation to your ruler or sticky.

In my 10's of thousands of shots here, I have only had 1 perfect 1, so I may not be the best person to take advice from, and I'm also not a Tour Legend, but I play one on TV.

• hezczz
    31 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2013 1:12 AM

ok what is the blue box your allt are alking about i see a green triangle but no bluebox.j

RSS