Help › Forums

Frustrated Chipper

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 28 2013 5:02 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Yadsendew
    5 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:40 AM

Yesterday, I managed to circumnavigate what I thought was a tough Kiawah Island course only to reach the last hole 5 over.....not bad for me or so I thought. Anyway, I proceeded to drive the par three into the thick stuff (in the bunker next to the green) and despite many attempts with different clubs, lofts and swings I could just not just get it to move. Many shots later I eventually decided to pack it in and withdrew from the comp (first time in about 50 comps).

I found this really frustrating, and I must admit, am now a bit disillusioned with the game. In a real game I would have taken an unplayable lie (with penalty) but I’m not sure if that option is available in WGT. Obviously, I’m having difficulty playing from tough lies (as I should) 30%-60% but this time I found it too difficult and very annoying. Any tips or guidance folks?

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 11:26 AM

You should ignore the choice of your caddy and practice all 6 of the wedge options. The chip should only really be used on flat areas within a yard or so of the green. 

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 11:47 AM

+1 Courteney!

The Ultimate Saver [tm] is a punch with a short wedge with full backspin to a nearby short cut area. This should work from any bunker, and once the ball sticks in the steep wall (only at STA and RSG AFAIK) you may have to play backwards.

Tipp: From 30% sand, only use PW and shorter clubs.

Tipp2: Max score on any hole is 6 over Par.

Edit: The last holes on KIA are Par4s - what have you been playing?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 12:18 PM

Something's amiss here. Regardless of how wrong the shot is, the ball will at least move in the traps at Kiawah when you hit it. I've hit wrong shots getting out of sand-that's how you learn- but I'm not aware of anyplace in a Kia trap that was unplayable. Do we have all the facts?

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:01 PM

I agree YJ - to my best knowledge there is no 9th or 18th hole Par3 (!) on any course.

What are we talking about?

• Yadsendew
    5 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 2:13 PM

Sorry folks, I made a stupid mistake - I meant the 17th not 18th.

YJ and alosso I played 4 shots with the ball barely moving I got so annoyed that I just quit the game and packed in. Although I joined WGT back in 2010 it's only since Jan of this year that I started playing often. I'm therefore relatively new to the game and in fact when I went back to the course info just now to check my error (to check the hole number) I found that my game had saved - you can see a couple of replays in my profile to show just how rubbish I am.

Apologies for the confusion and I am really grateful to you guys for the tips; I'm sure they'll help lots. 

• JackTaylor
    225 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:11 PM

One suggestion is walk through a course with a more experienced player and ask questions. If you don't have one I will be more than willing to help. 

You can send me a friend request and a time range you might be on. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:15 PM

Hi Yad, as Courteney said - do not trust either the club or shot choice your auto caddy gives you, especially around the greens. They have a pre-occupation with the chip shot.regardless of lie, distance etc. If you haven't already read the how to dhip and pitch guide (to the right of this page under FAQ) do so. Secondly you need to practice. The best option is the Par 3 Course, aim for the bunker (if you think you will miss the bunker - aim for the green lol) and try different types of shots and record your findings to see what works for you. Once on the green putt back into it and repeat. Personally I like to flop but depends on lies and uphill gradients. Lastly, if a shot doesn't work the first time, it probably will not work 4th time around either, so rethink your strategy after the first failed attempt.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:39 PM

Yadsendew:
    found this really frustrating, and I must admit, am now a bit disillusioned with the game. In a real game I would have taken an unplayable lie (with penalty) but I’m not sure if that option is available in WGT

Yeah, not too realistic for a game that claims the most realistic virtual golf game. I like the game but why the hell can't I get an option to take a drop? Because WGT don't give you that option.;(

Yadsendew:
    Any tips or guidance folks?

Anytime I'm in heavy rough or have a lousy lie, it's a no-brainer for me. Punch a 64 degree wedge. You will be suprised how acurate you can get with that punch shot & 9 times outta 10 get the best results out of 40% or heavier rough. Practice punching it about 40% farther than the distance to the pin & see how it works.

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:58 PM

If I'm green, look send me an invite, I can walk you through the shots and how to play them. I'm not the best, but I generally hold my own.

• PAGES
RSS