Help › Forums

Struggling to choose the right putter, help

Mon, Jul 1 2013 7:35 PM (45 replies)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2013 12:10 PM

YankeeJim:

MichaelStroke:
    I'm not going to pay an extra thousand credits for a picture of a damn swoosh on my club, in some ***-eyed belief that it's "better".

Oh but it is. At least if you look at the attributes. 1 1/2 dots more forgiveness and 1 dot more in balance is a huge difference. Throw the slower meter in there and that 1000 credits becomes understandable.  :-)

Yeah I forgot to mention that I'm not in my 90s for level.  :D

Plus I can't really spare the credits either.  Do you know how many Whataburger commercials I had to watch to just get my Rossa?  Sheesh.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2013 12:16 PM

MichaelStroke:
    Do you know how many Whataburger commercials I had to watch to just get my Rossa?  Sheesh.

LOL. It was worth it, you got a good putter. :-)

• TarheelsRule
    5,552 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2013 12:49 PM

I have the Nike Method putter.

I will say that when I replaced the Redwood with the Nike I hated it.  The 10 foot scale versus the 15 I didn't care for but over time I have found that the Nike works better for me than any other putter than I have tried.

Putting in WGT is much like putting in real golf, it is all about feel.  In real golf I am a lag putter so I am used to figuring the break based upon a ball that barely gets to the hole.  In WGT I putted this way for several years and was a bad putter, my numbers were about the lowest in my CC.  I talked to a few good players and they suggested that I change my style to a more aggressive approach, make sure you go 2 feet by the hole if it doesn't go in, on short putts of say 3 feet, I was hitting them to go 3.5 feet, now I hit them to go 5.

This takes a little of the break out as well and has improved my putting a good deal and it came while I was using the Nike so maybe that makes me somewhat prejudiced.  I'm now about an average putter in my CC, a good improvement.

• gedi83
    277 Posts
    Thu, Apr 18 2013 4:55 PM

If you're short of money, get Rossa, it has the best quality / price ratio, otherwise get L92 Spider - it's probably the best.

• riskplayer
    253 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 9:56 AM

I'm at level 100 and still use the Rossa. I've tried other high level putters but always return to Rossa. I doubt I'll ever even try another putter.

• PBaldwin
    108 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:21 AM

I'm really trying to work hard on my putting lately.  Being an off and on members since 2009, I've gotten really frustrated only being level 68 after 450 rounds.  I usually quit every few months as I just get frustrated and lose fun.

I'm currently using the Ghost Spider level 35 and it works pretty good for me, but missing the ding is absolutely disastrous for me.  I miss the ding on 50%+ of my shots so I really wind up with many horrible shots.  I'm averaging a 1.64 putts per hole which is probably horrible.  I almost always have a 3 putt in every round I play.

I rented the ghost spider level 66 last weekend for free but only used it for 2-3 rounds and couldn't tell if it was worth it.  I was leaving many of my putts short with it and just couldn't really tell if I liked it.  I tried the Nike Method level 51 and had the same problem.   I really don't want to buy a putter just yet, because I may just buy the level 77 Nike Method when I get to that level, but I'm afraid I won't like it.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 11:50 AM

PBaldwin:

I'm currently using the Ghost Spider level 35 and it works pretty good for me, but missing the ding is absolutely disastrous for me.

The same seems to apply to all the Ghost Spider putters.  I have the L92 one and if I miss the ding it usually takes a lot of distance off the putt.  I still make a fair few missed ding putts as I always hit putts at least a couple of feet harder than I think they need but it sure isn't very forgiving when it comes to missed dings.

PBaldwin:

I was leaving many of my putts short with it and just couldn't really tell if I liked it.  I tried the Nike Method level 51 and had the same problem.

Was this fairly short, under 10 foot, putts?  I tried the top level Nike and found the 10 foot scale absolutely awful.  It seemed like the putter face was covered in foam the way the ball sluggishly lurched off it.  I'm surprised you had trouble with the Ghost Spider though, I thought it gives the ball good smack compared to the Nike.

If you're in doubt give the Rossa a try, for the money it's a brillaint putter.  I'm a bit of a sucker for the suddenly available, shiny new gear in the pro shop but in all honesty, the Rossa is 97% as good as anything else you can buy for 3 or 4 times the price.

• PBaldwin
    108 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 1:15 PM

MainzMan:

PBaldwin:

I was leaving many of my putts short with it and just couldn't really tell if I liked it.  I tried the Nike Method level 51 and had the same problem.

Was this fairly short, under 10 foot, putts?  I tried the top level Nike and found the 10 foot scale absolutely awful.  It seemed like the putter face was covered in foam the way the ball sluggishly lurched off it.  I'm surprised you had trouble with the Ghost Spider though, I thought it gives the ball good smack compared to the Nike.

If you're in doubt give the Rossa a try, for the money it's a brillaint putter.  I'm a bit of a sucker for the suddenly available, shiny new gear in the pro shop but in all honesty, the Rossa is 97% as good as anything else you can buy for 3 or 4 times the price.

Yes I was coming up very short on the 10 footers.  I'm sure with more rounds I would have figured it out though, but just unsure on if it was worth the time.

The Rossa looks like it would be worse with the  forgiveness  being so low so I didn't even think about trying that.

• club578
    568 Posts
    Sun, Apr 21 2013 3:43 PM

get the l77 nike it's the best

• gedi83
    277 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2013 7:20 AM

Just posted my first 50@Cabo 1000 :)

Generally my game on it improved substantially in the 2nd week, compared to the first. Possible reasons? Changed from Rossa to L92 Spider after the free rental :) Rossa is good, but not the best. Also, look at the top 10 people in the earnings table and check which putters they are using...

RSS